• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

Bad things or annoyances that DJ's do

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
What are some things that DJ's do that you think are bad, annoying, or even ignorant at times? How many of you would even admit to doing these things, or doing them at some point earlier in your career as a DJ?

-Too many shoutouts...whether it's to their homeboys, girls there, cities, or whatever...nobody wants to hear that all night

-Mic checkin off beat...nothin worst than somebody doin a chant or call that's off beat

-Bad mixing...always noticeable, even to people who aren't DJ's, because it throws their rhythm off

-Playin the same pre-made mix every time they perform...it'll be obvious, especially when you hear the same thing two nights in a row for a 15 min stretch and can tell EVERYTHING the mix is gonna do in it

-Playin songs too fast...I hate when songs are sped up by 20, 25%+ all the time

-Usin shabby speakers or a bad sound system period

-Playin the best songs too early, and then playing average or played out songs when it gets crowded

-Playin the same kind of songs at EVERY event...whether it's a club, wedding, or corporate event

djhypnotiq718

The Turntable Assasin
1. Scratching too much...not every song you bring in needs to be scratched in!!!!

2. playing songs two times: this is my pet peeve...I try not to play a song more than once a night...if its requested alot then yea...but otherwise...NO...there is waaaaayyyy to much music to play songs 2 times

3. Playing a song toooo slow......nothing worse than slowing a track down too slow...it throws the whole song off, and crowds can tell!!

4. arriving at your gig late.....nothing worse than a DJ being late to the party!!!!

5. Dressing like a complete BUM!!! ok...sure you are behind the turntables...but DAMN have some pride in what you wear you know??? I knew a couple of DJ's who wore damn nar anything to their gigs!!!!

ririas0388

this is directed to radio djs, internet djs, and mixtape djs

- too many drops

- too many effects (example, goin crazy with the cornettas)

these are things made to enhance a mix, not ruin it

da blur

ProfessionalEntertainment
Yeah yours are the same as mine:

too many drops, pre-mix, killing vibe by playin some shit that don't blend well...

playin same song (i guess it would be okay to play the #1 hottest most requestes song 2 times, but no more then that)

FM radio djs are the worst

this dude played same 5 songs all day and actually called Plies/Ne-Yo Song "Bust a Move" today.

Last edited:

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
LMFAO @ "Bust a move"!!!!

But yeah...I HAAAATE playin the same song twice. In my opinion, there are waay too many good songs out there to play the same song twice...and I hate any crowd who doesn't feel the same way.

It is hard when I do events that have a floating crowd...meaning that half of the 8-9 crowd might not be there at 10-11 if it's not an actual club. Girls (it's always females) will come askin for a major song, like "Lollipop" right now, at 8:30...and I'll be like "I'll play it in an hour...it's way too early, it's not even crackin yet" n they are like "what??? An hour??? I want to hear it now! I won't be here in an hour!!" so I'm thinkin "ok, well if you won't be hear, you can play it on your iPod as soon as you leave...or in your car!" but I'll just tell them that I don't play songs twice...and they just say "why? Just play it again later on!" I have to do that every once in a while, but I still hate doin that.

djmistae

djmistae.com
if im in a club im usually djin anyway.. but when i do go out and hear someone else.... the biggest thing that makes me mad is this....

commercial djs, who 9/10 times are house djs but also have to play some r&b.. but make no effort to understand how to play it.. give them some house and they'll kill it.. but when it comes to anything else, it's like.. the whole song, played at 0%, introduced on the mic like they're playing a wedding or something.. slowly faded off beat into the next song.

and the fuckwit club managers who don't see them as shit djs cos people still pay money at the bar

KayPlaya

..Get ACTIVE..
djmistae said:
and the fuckwit club managers who don't see them as shit djs cos people still pay money at the bar
Thats a major problem!!! My biggest pet peeves are when DJs either talk too damn much and talk over the best part of the song.. or switch the song before best part even comesd on!! no need to play 4 songs in 1 minute!!!

Phonic

Man you guys basically touched everything. Man I really cant stand when a dj cant make good transitions. Instead of counting the bars and bringing in the songs on beat smoothly, they just switch songs. That **it bugs the hell out of me cause the callin this cat a dj.

JyNxy

When other Dj's booked on the same bill as us, are using a different format then us (We use Serato usually with turntables), and they come late and try and hook up Cd turntables while we are playing, and get in the way of us mixing and Djing.

2. When Dj's play too much of a song (more then 2 verses). We usually don't even play 2 verses. We usually only play 1 verse.!! Similarily, When Dj's cut a new song right in the middle of another song (not during the chorus, or some type of break).

JyNx
Cream Team Sound Crew

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
^^It all depends on the style of club/party/event you are doing. I get annoyed at clubs where they only play the hook of a song. For anthem type songs, it may only be one verse that matters, like on "Champions pop bottles" and some songs only need a hook...but when it comes to songs that females dance with dudes on, then 2-3 verses can work. Tracks like "Back dat azz up" can go for the whole song since Wayne's verse is the catchiest anyway.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
Also...I hate when DJ's come into an event and don't know what the DJ before them played...so 10 min later, they are playin the exact same songs. DJ's should plan songs and decide what songs to save for each other. I hate coming after a DJ who plays everything hot before 12...but I'll have enough to keep it goin, so I don't trip too much.

djhypnotiq718

The Turntable Assasin
JyNxy said:
2. When Dj's play too much of a song (more then 2 verses). We usually don't even play 2 verses. We usually only play 1 verse.!! Similarily, When Dj's cut a new song right in the middle of another song (not during the chorus, or some type of break).
Why you only play one verse of a song??? some tracks have some hot lines that people like to sing out in 2nd or 3rd verses. I myself don't like playing songs too fast.... gives the crowd time to enjoy the songs!!!

JyNxy

I hear that, although here in Toronto, people are used to Dj's just playing only one or 2 verses. If you play songs longer, people will get bord, and not really rate you as a good Dj. We usually keep things moving, plus we have nuff music so, we can keep playing all night (plus in toronto, when you go to an urban club, it will usually be a mix of hiphop/r&B and reggae (and alot of the time some Soca/Calypso too)... and especially with Reggae, and Soca/Calypso you usually don't play the song more then one verse.

If there is a song which has a good verse or break later in the song (for exp. the last verse), I will mix the last verse in as though it was the second verse. Although, if it is more of an R&B type song that the ladies are dancing to, I might play it for 2 verses.

JyNx
Cream Team sound Crew
PS: here is a sample us us Djing Live (hip hop & R&B and Reggae)
1st Hour: http://www.mediafire.com/?gfnzyfhlydy
2nd Hour: http://www.mediafire.com/?utmymyhz4mg

DJ RED

DJ Godfather
djhypnotiq718 said:
1. Scratching too much...not every song you bring in needs to be scratched in!!!!

2. playing songs two times: this is my pet peeve...I try not to play a song more than once a night...if its requested alot then yea...but otherwise...NO...there is waaaaayyyy to much music to play songs 2 times

3. Playing a song toooo slow......nothing worse than slowing a track down too slow...it throws the whole song off, and crowds can tell!!

4. arriving at your gig late.....nothing worse than a DJ being late to the party!!!!

5. Dressing like a complete BUM!!! ok...sure you are behind the turntables...but DAMN have some pride in what you wear you know??? I knew a couple of DJ's who wore damn nar anything to their gigs!!!!
I agree with all but 5. LOL!!! being in Hawaii u know how dat goes. haha. but i don't dress like a "BUM".

DJ RED

DJ Godfather
a lot of people here (especially the tourists) like to hear the whole song. the tourist like it cause they so use to only hearing 1 verse that it's a nice change for them when they come here for the most part. that's not to say we get a few of them who are like "c'mon, next song" "mix out of this already". lol. sometimes i'll mix out on the first hook. the newer shit/club bangaz though, get full play pretty much all the time.

DJ RED

DJ Godfather
o. i hate a DJ with an ego bigger than it should be. most djs are stuck up and FULL of themselves. they gotta chill and be a lil more humble........just a lil at least. I will not talk to any DJ like dat.

THERE'S ALWAYS SOMEONE BETTER THAN THE NEXT GUY/GIRL (YOU).

texasskoolboi

i agree wi everything thats been said .. .. but # 1 and # 2 go to...................................* drum roll * ..... lol

1.Playing the same fukin mix or just mixing the same songs the same friggin way every night... change it up bro!!!...

2. too many effects n stuff........... annoying!!

DJ Macho

Take Notes Ent.
DJ RED said:
o. i hate a DJ with an ego bigger than it should be. most djs are stuck up and FULL of themselves. they gotta chill and be a lil more humble........just a lil at least. I will not talk to any DJ like dat.

THERE'S ALWAYS SOMEONE BETTER THAN THE NEXT GUY/GIRL (YOU).
WORD!! Thats real talk!!

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
DJ Scorpio said:
Undercutting just to get a gig...thus driving down the value of djs in general.
I think undercutting can be a big problem, but it really hurts the people who are paying the DJ and going for the lowest bidder. Most events, especially those that make money, don't really trip off paying a good DJ, especially if he's worth it, and has some sort of name or cred that will bring people out. Undercutting happens a lot for small time events...and with those, I feel like it's not even worth stressing over.

It was worst when I was in college and some orgs. on campus would be cheaaap as hell...I'd give them a low price if I was cool with them, and they'd STILL ask for a lower price. It killed the AKA's the worst though...they let somebody undercut me for a job, and EVERYBODY said the event sucked, and would have been MUUCH better if I did it. Only bad thing was...some people still thought I DJ'd it, and word was goin around that "damm, R-Tistic did a terrible job at the AKA ball!" and I had to check em for that!