• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

Can you be sued for using vst sounds from programs you have not purchased

Cphollywoodsce

How would they know that your friend doesn't have them or a studio you went into doesn't have them? Can you copyright a single note of a synth? I dont think so.....

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
I've never heard of that, so nahh, I don't think so.

There have been arguments about samples and all, but with sounds, I doubt you can copyright an exact sound. Even with drum patterns...it's been hard for them to sue people who use the exact drum pattern, even if they sample the drums, because you can alter them enough to get away with them.

da blur

ProfessionalEntertainment
Yeah you can! Because they are Copyrighted sounds and virtual instrumentals and also the fact that they own it as a "plug-in." And without paying for it to legal own a copy, and if you try to sell a beat for big $ - you can be sued. Unless of course it's a royalty FREE VST!

(But they gotta prove it and who's gonna know?) [Plus you can alter sounds so much that it could hardly be recognized and compared so...]

Last edited:

atypikalent

da blur said:
Yeah you can! Because they are Copyrighted sounds and virtual instrumentals and also the fact that they own it as a "plug-in." And without paying for it to legal own a copy, and if you try to sell a beat for big $ - you can be sued. Unless of course it's a royalty FREE VST!

(But they gotta prove it and who's gonna know?) [Plus you can alter sounds so much that it could hardly be recognized and compared so...]
couldnt you just say you made the track at a studio with their equipment?

DJ Smuv

Track Masta
In A Word , No .
Can You be sued for using the sounds in a triton , or motif , even if you dont own it ?
You CAN be sued for using a "provable" sample like bonhams drumset from "when the levee breaks" but not sounds that were intended to be used musically in the first place .

AveMcree

FutureStarDJs/TrapCampEnt
um yeah it illegal to download software w/o buying the license... but you would only know that if you actually bought your software lol

djmistayung205

AveMcree said:
um yeah it illegal to download software w/o buying the license... but you would only know that if you actually bought your software lol
you mean folk actually still buy software??? :eek:

deeyaaammmm lol

AveMcree

djmistayung205 said:
you mean folk actually still buy software??? :eek:

deeyaaammmm lol

ummm yeah... I do because if you use a preset in your beat and the company decides to sue you because you got a number 1 hit w/ that preset, your ass is grass

I mean no disrespect by my next comment but the only people that download free or bootlegg stuff usually are the dudes that dont really take this music shit serious from the jump regardless of money issues..... much like the folks who bootlegg music or leech off this site

so think about that when someone you know is using a drumloop in a soundset w/o paying for the license

Cphollywoodsce

all good points. I buy my vst's. East West Quantum Leap, and many others regardless of price. Also here is a trick. Use a demo and then export the wave individually so you have the sound and dont even need the vst. The demo is for use and trial purposes and hey thats exactly what i do if I wanna try something.

www.cphollywoodbeats.com

Cphollywoodsce

swiss used the actually demo that was made (played out) the melody n all. I am talkin bout the demo of the software. Thats what its for, to try it out.

Swiss just jacked a keyboard preset melody!

AveMcree

Hek Naw!! Everybody's Using Them!!!
you must not read the licenses on your bootleg software... you can be sued at anytime especially if you actually get popular off of a known loop or preset.... you will be in court right after you get your first royality statement lmao