• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

"Damn, I wish I was DJing....."

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
Am I the only one that has trouble going to ANY event where there's a DJ without thinking thoughts like "damn, I wish I was DJing instead of just sitting here?" It doesn't matter if dude is dope as hell or wack...either way, it seems like I am always thinkin like I was DJing, and listenin to every single thing they do.

latinblood2k1

I usually go to these events to just listen to the dj`s! Fuck dancing lol I can`t dance for shit although I also go to also keep my girls occupied

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
latinblood2k1 said:
I usually go to these events to just listen to the dj`s! Fuck dancing lol I can`t dance for shit although I also go to also keep my girls occupied
LOL! I want to get a shirt with two left feet on it, and one that just says "I DJ because I can't dance for shit!"

MiamiHustler

DJ TARIQUE
I don't even go out like that, if I am not spinning but I mean I spin 3-4 times a week so that other time I just like to chill with the wife, or be with my son, or shit what I am doing most of the time, getting new music and or old music I don't have LOL..

Unless it's a Dj I really want to hear, I don't even bother going out.. There are certain local djs or djs from out of town that play her weekly that I will go see like Q-45, but other then that I stay home!

P-KNoW

ORIGINAL HEATSEEKA DJz
Im like DJ Tarique. I spin 3-4 nights a week in addition to working 40 + hours a week at my day slave. No wife or kids but I definately am trying to just chill when Im not spinning.
You can't get me to go out at any local clubs right now unless there is really something special going on. When Im between gigs and I do get an itch to go kick it, bag bitches, and swag up on mofos; I have to hit the highway and change my scenery.

DJ enCore

yuppp, I can't go to the club with nobody, including wifey, becuz I'll just ruin it for them pointing out every wack thing the DJ does. LOL.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
^That's how I was when I was in Florida and still in school...I only had three classses, so I had weeks where I'd DJ like 8-10 events. But I'm just workin 40 hrs a week now, and do a gig every week or two until I get used to workin and DJin at night. I still go out just to see what it's like, and I am always puttin songs in my cell phone that I realize I don't have.

DJ Scorpio

aka Big Daddy
I agree this is a disease!! I can't really dance because every offbeat blend and wack scratching makes me stop in my tracks! Somebody heeeelllllppppp!!! lol

Last edited:

DJ WataBoy

The International DJ
Yeah I wish more when the DJ suxs!!! But if the DJ good, I ususally go and grab the mic and get the crowd krunk and run the crowd and help the DJ out. That DJ then becomes a business partner. Get that DJ involved with the WataBoy Movement ya dig. Its all for the paper...

Diamond Dog

NNY's Truth
It's definitely a disease that all REAL DJ's have. Go to a club/party/event/anything and pick apart the DJ. We notice alotta shit that the average clubhopper doesn't. Damn, even if a beat falls of a little bit, I'm on it....haha....even though I do it myself, too. :rolleyes:

DJ Macho

Take Notes Ent.
Man that's so true yo, especially when the Dj tries to attempt to mix and is so off-beat. What I used to like doing is picking out the song and telling my friends what hes going to play next jus off like a 2 bar intro, they used to be amazed at that shit and wonder how I do it but if u a Dj that shit is like 2nd nature.

djchillneil

DJ Chill Neil
damn dj encore i thought i was the only one who would point out wack shit about a dj. And please don't let me be drinking. It seems like dj's can't find the 4,8,12,or 16 count. It's more like the 3,7,11,or15 count. What the fuck!!!!!!!

DJ Acizzle

Nigga ask about me
Haha, I must agree with all of you all. I happen to go to the club with my brother's every now and then and they'll tell you I always am complaining about how wack the DJ is(i.e. bad transitions, song selection, etc.) I swear this one club we used to go to plays the same fucking music everynight. I hated that bish.

MistaChin

These attitudes scare me. It seems when i play my stuff i know there's a DJ somewhere in the crowd that's picking me apart and criticizing all my mistakes. I know because i do the exact same. I'm still getting to that point where i can play my music with confidence, but until then i'm in a hole practicing until i can buss out.

And by mistakes i dont mean beginner shit like mis-counts and crap like chillneil was sayin with the 3,7,11 thing. But i mean the beats being off by the smallest fraction. I guess i'm a perfectionist.....i have yet to realize that there are flaws in any mixes.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
LOL, this topic is ever funnier after this weekend for me. I did a party in Ladera, which is basically the same as Baldwin Hills but has nicer areas around it. I was doin my thing, mixin it up since the crowd was 25-35 for the most part. I noticed it was this older dude who had his laptop next to me, and I'm like oh, he must be one of my boy's people...and my boy came and was like "yeah, this dude's been around for a min, so we're gonna let him get a set in." I wasn't trippin, but dude just seemed cocky as hell from the jump. He was just starin at me the whole time I was on.

He had the 57-SL hooked up earlier, but my computer didn't have the drivers for it and it was no wireless signal, so I used my DXM06 mixer...I had no idea anybody else was even gonna DJ. Dude came like "what the hell, why you repalce the 57-SL with this shit? You NEVER move the 57-SL!!" and I'm like whatever, my shit ain't work with it...and fuck a mixer anyway! He was like "see, my shit ain't even readin from this shit!!!" and I look...I'm like "man you don't even have a song loaded up!!!!" He had that mad look, and just shook his head.

Later on, I saw his Myspace and saw his pics with Snoop and everybody else, so I'm like "yeah he is an older head that's done some things, but he was bein way too cocky about nothin".

latinblood2k1

as mentioned above the average clubgoer is not going to notice shit unless he/she is a big fan of music and DJ`ing or if he/she has a friend that`s a good DJ! Everytime I bring my friends over I find them messing w/ my equipment and wanting learn about the whole dj`ing thing and now that I`ve gotten most of my good friends in to dj`ing they now go to the clubs and notices every little mistake that the DJ does! I even have my family pointing out the mistake lol

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
MistaChin said:
These attitudes scare me. It seems when i play my stuff i know there's a DJ somewhere in the crowd that's picking me apart and criticizing all my mistakes. I know because i do the exact same. I'm still getting to that point where i can play my music with confidence, but until then i'm in a hole practicing until i can buss out.

And by mistakes i dont mean beginner shit like mis-counts and crap like chillneil was sayin with the 3,7,11 thing. But i mean the beats being off by the smallest fraction. I guess i'm a perfectionist.....i have yet to realize that there are flaws in any mixes.
Yeah, that's how it is. But fuck all of that....truth is, DJ's are very cocky, arrogant nitpickers who all think they are the best because of their biases. DJ's say all of the following...
"I'd NEVER play that"
"That song is old, why is he playin that?"
"He didn't bring that beat in"
"He is scratchin too much"
"He isn't scratchin enough"
"He plays the same songs every time"
"He doesn't use the mic enough"
"He talks too much"
I could go on and on....but truth is.....DJ's are NOT the ones who are usually hiring DJ's, or who are going to fill up the clubs....so their criticism doesn't really hold much weight. Every time I talk to a DJ, they seem to have something negative to say about almost every other DJ around, whether they are major or not, and whether the DJ they talk about is major or not.

Fact is, we can nitpick and say something negative about almost any DJ we hear...but is it gonna help us out? Funny thing is, I've been to events where I'm like "damm, the DJ is dope...but the crowd isn't feelin him, or isn't appreciating what he's doin"...then been to events like "damn, the DJ is weak, he's just throwin songs on, no mixing skills, quality ain't that good....but the crowd is wild as hell!!!" As I said...the crowd and the stakeholders, meaning promoters and club owners are the ones who's opinion counts the most...so as much as we sit there like "he sucks"...if he can work the crowd, that means the most, even if we think or "KNOW" he sucks LOL.

Having a big name as a DJ usually is never about having straight skills...it's always about pushing your name, making connects, and bein out there.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
latinblood2k1 said:
as mentioned above the average clubgoer is not going to notice shit unless he/she is a big fan of music and DJ`ing or if he/she has a friend that`s a good DJ! Everytime I bring my friends over I find them messing w/ my equipment and wanting learn about the whole dj`ing thing and now that I`ve gotten most of my good friends in to dj`ing they now go to the clubs and notices every little mistake that the DJ does! I even have my family pointing out the mistake lol
LOL yeah really. Before I was DJ'n, I would notice if the beatmatching was off, but if he didn't beatmatch at all and just scratched songs in, I didn't really care.