• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

Did Marketing Kill Hip-hop?

TJ

Administrator
Staff member
p style=text-align: left;img src=http://api.ning.com/files/uol6j5UgWtBbnTDxwoQBfRi3UESMeKzqJVwLZEygTZd26Ihde6uUsv9BO9a8eXfUbfKxbLbfVBojMC8xomMSdIinDJliSVfx/Nas.jpg alt=//p br / See the original article at - a href=http://www.allhiphop.com/stories/editorial/archive/2009/08/31/21918231.aspx target=_blankhttp://www.allhiphop.com/stories/editorial/archive/2009/08/31/21918231.aspx/abr / br / By Tolu Olorundabr / br / We’ve arrived at a point that calls for some serious reflection.br / br / Is Hip-Hop art orhellip;

More...

thrill da playa

Djs following instead of leading killed hip hop. Nothing perbonal, just tru. The me me me culture killed hip hop. Luk @ this site. Djs constantly post but very few take the time to comment because erybody selfish. Erybody n the crew rappin killed hip hop. The road mngr, the lawyer, the hypeman, the secretary, erybody rap now. We need more mack maine's. Someone willing to do what they were bought on to do to the best of their ability, then jumpin off they own projos.nooooooooo none uv that no more u 1/2 way there and they try n jump they stuff off and erybody fall.lol

je_squeeze

true, what you say......everybody's in it....but perhaps hiphop evolved and continuosly evolving, and thats why everybody is in it....yet still you see crab-mentality in it, when people get into envy others....

indepthjay

Lol. I would say that hip hop is still going strong. It's prolly the best as far as its every been. With you tube facebook,myspace. the net is playing bigger role

fr334rm

the most badd3st
It's prolly the best as far as its every been
Now I've heard it all - "hiphop the best it's ever been" :D
Try the worst it's ever been son, 1999-2004 and a bit beyond that were totally amazing years for hiphop but since mass piracy of albums and desecration of music in general via the ****ing internet, music in general has gone to sh** and is by far at its worst ebb. Try gettin your facts right !

D.J. Jellfire

I agree, everybody that wants to be in this game knows everything, has all the answers. There's alot to learn about this game, and it has a rich history. Though technology has opened doors for those who would never have a chance to experience this life, there are special talents and traits one has to have to actually be successful at this. If newbies continue to jump into D.Jing, rapping without learning the history and the trade the game will always be f#$%ked up. So try to help them if you can and if they don't want to take your help or advice. Put their ass on Blast!!!!!!!

fr334rm

the most badd3st
I'm not putting anyone on blast...but it's obvious that the entire game has changed since the advent of the internet and the proliferation of digital music - heck the iconic Technics 1200 series is no longer in production and spare parts are no longer available so in a few years literally no-one will be using vinyl. Which is not a bad thing per se but I have noticed a distinct lack of decent club bangers coming out recently i.e. the last 2 or 3 years - look at Beyonce, Jay-Z/Kanye, Lil Wayne, and the list continues, which a few exceptions (including Britney and Jennifer Lopez) the blazing tracks are not really coming out anymore. The styles of LMFAO and new skool Pitbull and David Guetta which are fine if you're into that kind of gimmicky but superficial music are steadily taking over and the anthems a la old skool Fat Joe, Nelly, Eminem, Akon, Swizz Beats, Scott Storch, and an endless list are not really cropping up and needless to say record sales are more or less a thing of the past even if artists/labels crack down on leaks within 5minutes of the music appearing on iTunes illicit downloads flood the web. And of course many mp3 websites offer entire back catalogues of almost any artist you can name for free immediate download thereby wiping out in one swoop the whole concept of tracking down old LPs and CDs. Also with labels recognising the importance of digital commerce they are more and more offering better deals for digital purchases e.g. Amazon selling Lady Gaga for $1, and iTunes and such offering exclusive tracks and other sweeteners which attract business away from record stores and physical sales which again is not a bad thing in itself but the sheer disposibility of a digital file lacks somewhat the inherent qualities of a CD or more so a 12" or LP record. All these things and many more have seem to have impacted negatively on hiphop music and the wider music business.
In terms of DJing itself the skill in selection and technique of mixing is still just as much an artform in both the vinyl/CD and digital format, even though many people are quick to claim the contrary, but in terms of the music coming through to DJs, that for me is where the real risk is of the quality drying up which would be/is becoming catastrophic...especially for those veterans or people schooled up enough to know the course and history of popular music through the decades up til today.

fr334rm

the most badd3st
BTW the original link for this story is no longer valid so it's hard to comment on the original argument for this thread but as it stands I find the idea that "marketing" could kill hiphop kind of amusing I mean, what is "marketing"? it's a paper folks take in their first year at university then give it up coz it's the most boring subject ever, or if they're especially straight then they might major in it but I struggle to see what it's got to do with killing hiphop q: