• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

Festival

im2smart4u007

DJ Rakesh
I'm in the process of booking a Festival type gig in NYC. There providing the speakers and an Emcee, all I need to do is go and play music, and theres going to be performers so play their music as well. The woman asked me to come to their offices to meet. I have only done 1 gig so far and the other ones I have booked are all through friends of friends and family, so they all lack a certain professional touch. Anyone have any advice on what to take with me when I go, what to say, how much to charge, etc, anthing to everything to do.

djhypnotiq718

The Turntable Assasin
im2smart4u007 said:
I'm in the process of booking a Festival type gig in NYC. There providing the speakers and an Emcee, all I need to do is go and play music, and theres going to be performers so play their music as well. The woman asked me to come to their offices to meet. I have only done 1 gig so far and the other ones I have booked are all through friends of friends and family, so they all lack a certain professional touch. Anyone have any advice on what to take with me when I go, what to say, how much to charge, etc, anthing to everything to do.
Whenever you do a gig, (especially a mobile gig) always keep in mind they don't know what YOU as a indivual DJ needs. So they might have speakers, but are they cheap speakers? What kind of emcee?? Let them what you need so you can perform to your best ability to make it professional as possible. in terms of price well that all depends on how much you think your time and effort is worth. How long you gonna play for?? you need to know these things. I remember when I played in Germany for a Open Air Messe (Wurzburg Germany, 2003) I played for 12 hours, and I got paid 1,500 Euro (2,000 dollars) I guess you can it all depends on the type of event to.

Now things you gotta bring is simple....Bring stuff you know you gonna need. I can't tell you what to bring becuase I don't know all the info, but if its like a urban festival then I would bring ALOT of clean music, Alot of instrumentals, and Mainstream music. Try to stay away from underground stuff, or songs that really aren't appropiate for outside use...(you never know who is walking around) If you plan on mixing and scratching I would bring extra needles if you are using Vinyl. I would also bring buisness cards to give to people like I said you never know who is walking around!!!!!

To sum everything all up, let them know what you want. Don't settle for less that you should. Show them that you are professional. Set a standard for yourself and keep it. I been djing for 13 years and I have never lowered my standard for prices, or anything. If you show them that you are THE REAL DEAL, they will treat you like the real deal!!!!

im2smart4u007

DJ Rakesh
Thanks for the responce Hynotiq. I meant for the meeting, what should I take, do I need to sign a contract? Its a theater company and ther are renting the speakers. I'm using CDs so my mixer and CD decks along with my CDs. The company hiring me is a Theater company and they do differant cultural event, there doing and Indian type festival and since I know Indian Music, they want to hire me. There employee is gonna be the master of ceromony.

djhypnotiq718

The Turntable Assasin
im2smart4u007 said:
Thanks for the responce Hynotiq. I meant for the meeting, what should I take, do I need to sign a contract? Its a theater company and ther are renting the speakers. I'm using CDs so my mixer and CD decks along with my CDs. The company hiring me is a Theater company and they do differant cultural event, there doing and Indian type festival and since I know Indian Music, they want to hire me. There employee is gonna be the master of ceromony.
my opinion on what to bring is this:

considering you don't know these people, I would recommend you produce a written contract listing what you charge and hours you will charge there after. (e.g 50 dollars an hour for 4 hours & 55 dollars an hour after the 4th hour) AGAIN this is just an example I am giving you. Or you can just give them a flat rate. Having it in writing obligates them to abid by the agreement so they won't try to swindle you....Trust me I done many gigs where I got swindled, and there was nothing I could do about it because nothing was in writing, and no signatures were present. Funny how a piece of paper can go a long way. YES....but in your best interests do a contract up yourself, and list what you require. If they don't agree to it, and you really want the gig present some sort of negotiating deal. More than likely if they are desperate and you are good, they will meet your demands. It has worked for me in the past, and I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.