• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

How would you respond if a DJ went after you, and....

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
This is based off of something that happened recently. I'll tell you all the rest of the story after some input, but I just want to know how everyone else here would feel if this happened to them.

You're DJing an event which is basically a backyard boogie/party for an older crowd. The person you always DJ with is the one who's throwin it. You are goin for most of the night, and everybody is vibin, no complaints at all. Somewhere around halfway, your boy tells you that his homeboy who's an old head who's been in it for a long time is gonna get a set in, so you don't trip. Dude seems kinda arrogant from the jump, and doesn't say anything to you, period. When he starts hooking up his laptop, he says some sideways comments about your mixer, and has some attitude about it.

Throughout the set, the DJ doesn't say anything at all because he's focused on his set...but the dude on the mic says this line about 5-6 times...."YEAH, WE GOT A REAL DJ ON THE SET NOW! ONCE AGAIN, REAL DJ ON THE SET NOW!!" No one else in the crowd seems to notice it, even when you ask somebody "did you hear what he just said???"

At that point, what would you do, and how would you feel about it?

1)Confront both of them and let them know that shit ain't cool
2)Not say anything, and wait to get back on, kill a set, and talk shit on the mic
3)Not say anything, come kill a set, and still not say anything
4)Ask your boy what the deal is, and why the cats are coming at you sideways
5)Figure that he's definitely not talking about you, because you don't know him, and don't think anything of it
6)Not say anything, but talk to the DJ or his dude in a calm, low key manner just to make sure all is good and that it wasn't directed at you
7)Completely ignore it and do nothing

I'll let y'all know what happened, but I just want to see what your initial reaction would be.

MiamiHustler

DJ TARIQUE
First off.. If dude ain't even speak, to me like, hey whats poppin man, or something then he would have not got on my set, I don't care, but then again that really doesn't happen to me..

Tell the rest of the story, what happens next!

dj_three

wouldn't have let that fucker spin. for one, the punk bitch didn't ask for himself. he sent word by somebody else....thats bitchassness right there. i'm pretty sure he was approached about doing it in the first place and turned it down like he was too good for it. mutherfucker tried me like that a few weeks ago. told him to back up and let me do my thang. he got pissed and left...oh well. fuck a bitch.

da blur

ProfessionalEntertainment
2)Not say anything, and wait to get back on, kill a set, and talk shit on the mic (just a little maybe)

or confront him with 1 if I wasnt spinning again and or ask him what the deal is

DJ RED

DJ Godfather
no words. just drop them BOTH! take your shit then LEAVE! :D even if he your "homeboy", fuck that shit. let him talk and he'll just make an excuse or beat around the bush. so yea. fuck them both man. even if no one noticed that, that's just DISRESPECTFUL. ya "boy" DISSED YOU. bottom line.

DJ RED

DJ Godfather
da blur said:
2)Not say anything, and wait to get back on, kill a set, and talk shit on the mic (just a little maybe)

or confront him with 1 if I wasnt spinning again and or ask him what the deal is

are you high? fuck that shit. bash their heads in with a baseball bat, then shoot them in the knee caps, take your shit and leave.....:D o and go on the mic and say "have a good night".

MistaChin

Definitely number 2. That's straight up disrespectful. I woulda played some chune that had a message like "Mad Cobra - Press Trigger" and voice over it on the mic at some points talkin shit.

That or sabotage some part of his set and get on the mic and say "looks like your REAL DJ doesn't know how to operate REAL equipment"

AwDaMaDDiX

**** U round eye!
Out here, DJs all have the respect for eachother. I'll go introduce myself to other DJs, even if I don't take over or play. It's just proper ettiquency. But for him to not even speak to you? AND play on YOUR shit?

You're crazy for lettin' that one happen.

da blur

ProfessionalEntertainment
DJ RED said:
are you high? fuck that shit. bash their heads in with a baseball bat, then shoot them in the knee caps, take your shit and leave.....:D o and go on the mic and say "have a good night".
ok killer
sure youre name aint jason or freddy?

so what really happened?>

kaos456

i wouldnt of let him spin at all once he came off like a d!ck by not even talking to u & when he talked outta the side of his neck about ur mixer. & by chance i did let that slide..... once they started to diss u on the mic i wouldda told them to kick mud.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
LOL, interesting. One thing I should have noted is that the only equipment there that was mine was the mixer and my laptop...the sounds, mic, amps, and turntables were there already, and I figured out it was theirs.

Well, I just wanted to see how y'all would respond before I told the rest.

When I first heard dude sayin this, I'm like WTF?? I know that the dude DJ'n wasn't the one on the mic, but I saw them as the same person, just because they were on it together, and because the DJ had came at me sideways from the jump. I tried to find my homeboy real fast, because I didn't want to cause a major scene, especially with my other homeboys there, since I could tell most of the people there were people that knew the dudes who were on more than I did, and I wasn't about to do anything too wild unless they took it there.

I saw my boy's other partner that comes to everything, and I was like "ey man, you hear these niggs talkin shit??" and he talked to me for a few min just sayin that they were some old heads, and they will come at you just to see how you respond. I calmed down a bit, but I still headed toward their direction. My boy who told me he could get on was runnin around, and I finally ended up seein him...I was like "ey man..I know that's ya people, but check these mafuckas before we gotta get into it or somethin, cause I ain't feelin that shit at all". He didn't even realize that dude had said anything, so he was like "what happened??? U straight..shit hold on, lemme get at em."

He came back about 2 min later, and was like "eey man....don't trip at all...they are gettin at that bald dude over there. Remember the last time we DJ'd, and that old dude was just starin at us?" I thought about it, and realized that it was the same dude who would just stare whenever we did somethin. He was like "yeah man..he always call himself a DJ, but dude be usin his iPod n tryin to talk shit! So when my boy got on the mic, he spotted dude, and was really callin him out. You probably did think it was about you, because they came right after you, but they definitely ain't gettin at you!"

He told me to walk over there with him, and both of the dudes dapped me up, and were like "nahh man, we'd never come at you like that! We know you are Damu's [my boy] people, and we ain't have a reason to have a problem with you!" I was like "iite, it's all cool then. I know y'all came at me for the mixer I had so I figured y'all were trippin on that" and dude was like "we set up all the equipment so I was kinda mad because I didn't even see where you had put the mixer, and I have been usin it for a while now. But all is good, shit you can roll with me to some spots that I do whenever you want to!"

So yeah...everything was cool afterwards, even though I still think dude came kinda sideways to start. But I still think anybody would have saw that as callin you out...especially because dude said "Real DJ on the set NOW!" implying that the DJ from 15 min. before wasn't real...so I don't think I would have been wrong if I had went straight up to dude and started somethin.

kaos456

but if they werent going at u they coulda shouted u out or something cuz the crowd didnt have that convo with them to hear that they were goin @ someone else. but atleast u have an new friend instaed of an enemy now.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
kaos456 said:
but if they werent going at u they coulda shouted u out or something cuz the crowd didnt have that convo with them to hear that they were goin @ someone else. but atleast u have an new friend instaed of an enemy now.
I still think it was messy...even if they were goin at somebody else, it's like why bring that to a party where nobody else knows or cares about that beef? And if anybody from the crowd even paid attention to it, I'm sure they would think it was about me. When I pointed it out to my homeboys, nobody had even noticed it...so I'm sure I was hearin it because I was DJ'n.

Yeah, I don't have to be "friends" with every DJ I meet, but there should at least be respect, especially if we know the same people. The world is way too small for DJ's to beef with other ones...things could easily turn messy, especially in a city like L.A.

Phonic

I would probably pick 1 or 6. Dude could have at least spoke to you. just out of respect. But you a good dude for keeping it cool though and not slapping the shit out of him. Was the dj even good?

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
Phonic said:
I would probably pick 1 or 6. Dude could have at least spoke to you. just out of respect. But you a good dude for keeping it cool though and not slapping the shit out of him. Was the dj even good?
Yeah, that's the first reason I was already kinda mad...as soon as he started, I was just standin there mad doggin him.

He was pretty good, but had a completely diff style, especially for what I was doin that night. He played ALL East Coast though, mainly Jay, which worked for that crowd since it was an older crowd. I was playin a lot of older stuff earlier, but I was on my club/dancin set then...his was the "play one verse from a song, scratch in a verse from a new song, scratch in a hook from a diff song, scratch in a new verse from a diff song" and he started off with Be faithful, LOL

Phonic

Be faithful? LOL WOW. Well at least everything turned out cool and you aint end up locked up over some dumb shit.

ced_so_thoed

ay
i don't give a damn
after they got done with their set
i woulda did an already shined and polished set and buried any thought that somebody else dj'd
i did that to a dude that i dj'd a club with
i did a 2 hour set
he did a a 2 hour set and went hard
i came back for the last 2 and buried his ass
yep

DJ Cutty

Florida's Own
Hey cuzo, you should correct any nigga from jump when you feel disrespected. For one, they will see that you are not the one to come sideways at. Most importantly, you may have been in a situation where the numbers were not on your side but you can always TACTIFULLY tell a motherfucka off....lol

DJ RED

DJ Godfather
it's all about respect. you should have taken them both out. you might've done a lil prison time but what the hell, at least you'd still have the respect. :)

razcal

In cases like that, I'd probably keep it cool and not do anything. I know some DJs out there think they're God's gift to the world, but when u hear em spin, you feel sorry they advertise themselves so much, coz they can't deejay at all. I think that's especially popular over here in Germany: You got your beginner DJs, who had like 2-3 club gigs, and already they go out 'n have their own t-shirts printed, start promoting themselves and act arrogant towards other DJs. These fools can't even mix two songs properly and try to put on a show. I think it's really best to ignore em and try to be better than that.

I've learned that one feature of a really good DJ is that he doesnt need to advertise. The more they promote themselves on the Mic, the badder their DJing is. Simple as that. Of course, there are exception, such as DJs whose Mic work has become sort of a trademark. But most just do it to distract from their crappy DJing.

Just do your thing and provide some quality music. That's far more important for your rep than some a**hole trying to come at you sideways.