• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

Limiting yourself as a DJ by only playing certain genres

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
DJing is my second/night time occupation, and overall, it is something that I enjoy doing. For me, I enjoy events where I can play music I enjoy hearing, and what I have an ear for...and that is usually any event that I don't have to play 100% straight off of MTV/commercial radio rap, and any event that I can play older R&B/soul or anything else. I have had a few people tell me "you are limiting yourself as a DJ if you don't play Pop/Rock/House" and "you will never be a major DJ if you only do Rap/R&B/Soul/Jazz (black music)".

In my opinion, I just don't have the ear for pop/rock/house, and don't enjoy listening to it or playing it...and regardless of what people say, doing Rap/R&B/Soul/Jazz etc. is still being VERY diverse, because each of those have 10-15 genres within it. So is it wrong for me to not have the desire to play any other styles of music, even though every event I've been asked to do has never required me to play these types? If I never become a MAJOR DJ because of this, it really won't bother me at all...I just don't see myself ever getting into other styles of music like that.

I really think it's hard for someone who is a fan of Pop/Rock/House/etc. to believe that you can truly be diverse if you only do "black" music, because they see it as all the same...but most of us realize that within Rap, there are 15-20 different styles, and it's not many DJ's who could even do half of those effectively...and the same goes for R&B, Jazz, Gospel, and all else.

I don't like sounding like one of those "do it for the love, fuck money" type of people...but that's really what it is. If somebody offered me $500 to do an event where I had to play house, rock, and pop, and someone else offered me $350 or $400 for a rap/R&B event, I'd easily take the Rap/R&B with no question. I feel that there are DJ's that cater to every style of music, and aiming to be "TOO diverse" can actually be a hinderance for many people.

I basically feel like I'm just working overtime for my regular job if I'm playing music I don't want to hear...but when I can play songs that I love just as much as the crowd loves, then it's win-win and I'm basically being paid to have fun.

Let me know what you think about this issue.

djmistayung205

In a sense it depends to me...

think about artists that switch musical styles. Some call it going pop, commercial, etc. Sometimes it helps the artist go to the next level...others not. There are some artists that say they will never change and will stay true to their core fan base. Some of these artists go on to become successful and wealthy...others find themselves having to change to find new avenues of records sales, income, etc.

Hard to answer that but personally I would not limit myself to one type of music. I may SPECIALIZE in one particular genre but bruh you gotta leave yaself open to options IMO

P-KNoW

ORIGINAL HEATSEEKA DJz
First off... of course your limited if you only play one genre.... However, Limits are not always bad. Sometimes its good to set reasonable limits.

I'm with you as far as being dumb to pop or rock... and while I'm familiar with Reggae, and House/Techno/BMORE Club, I doubt I'm qualified to rock an event in either of those genres. But I KNOW I can throw down on some hood ass hip-hop shit... I KNOW I can get a building jammin to some Old School Hip-Hop, R&B, or Soul.

Now, am I limited to only doing events that fall under those genres which I KNOW I can slay?... The answer is yes... if I plan to keep my credibility intact.

Do I miss out on certain oppertunity due to not spinnin rock or Billboard top 40 venues?.... Sure I do.... But at the same time I dont miss those oppertunities, since taking advantage of the ones available, keep me more than busy and come with oppertunity of their own.

In closing. Do You... I mean, if you like other genres enough to knowledge yourself in them, why not get that extra money, and introduce yourself to a whole new slew of oppertunity. The important thing (to me anyway) is to enjoy what you do; Do it well; and do it to the max.

djunity

Bum Squad
I know it sounds cliche but you do it because you love it and if you start playing music that you have absolutely no interest in, then its going to become a chore.

Ive been djaying since 87 and, up until recently, Ive never thought that I was limiting myself by not playing other genres. It didnt really matter to me up until the past 4 years when I really attempted to branch out in my city only to realize that there are a large number of clubs and club owners/managers that would never let a "rap" dj spin in their clubs because they dont want to hear more than 3 rap songs in an hour. This is their way of controlling their clientele, in other words, this is their way of keeping black folks to a minimum. Because I choose not to play other genres of music like say EDM, alot of doors are closed to me.

When you spin you want to give the best performance that you possibly can that particular night, this goal is achieved alot easier when your playing genres that you know and personally have an interest in playing. It seems that in djaying your only as good as your last performance, so by giving a lackluster performance because you were playing music that you are unfamiliar with can only hurt your reputation in the long run and that too will definitely keep you from becoming a "big time dj".

bluefan101

Registered Post Offender
That's a tough question to answer and it depends on what kind of dj you ask. Since the late 90s clubs and the music industry have both started to become more genre specific...rock clubs, country clubs, dance clubs, underground clubs, rap/hip-hop clubs, etc. With that shift, djs have become more genre specific in only playing the genres that they like and working at the clubs where they know the crowd and the music. Well I work at a top 40 club and dance club. We're specifically told that we don't do any type of slower rap, rock, or country. So I get as many remixes as I can through various sources just so I can play those songs like Lollipop, Cyclone, etc. But in my area, we're not overflowing with djs. Most of the ones I know only know one type of music whether it's house, dnb, rap, or mashups. They don't know how to cross genres or to rotate a dance floor by diversifying a playlist. So in this type of setting it is very necessary to know how to cross format a room and play to a diverse crowd using a limited playlist.
On the other hand, those that are only doing this as a hobby or as extra pay for weekend gigs, it isn't that big of a deal to learn new genres. I mean all the way around, music is music is music. All the stuff on the radio and that we get through trading or record pools or whatever...it all has 4 beats to a measure, 16 beats in a phrase. Once you have an ear for the changes in music it sticks across genres. I have respect for a lot of different styles of music from my personal favorite, breaks, to hip hop and rap, to jazz and classical. I like it all.
Bottom line for me, is if you plan on going somewhere with your talent than you need to understand more styles and pick up a few of the tracks that represent that genre. If you plan on sticking with doing only the genre specific clubs and gigs that are genre specific then be the best you can be with that genre and put all of your energy into that. Don't worry about haters or people that try to tell you to branch out. Same goes for equipment. Don't limit yourself to just the equipment that you like. As a dj you should be able to walk into any club, drop in a cd, throw on a piece of wax, or plug in your setup and rock a crowd, regardless of the mixer or decks that they have.

Last edited:

Diamond Dog

NNY's Truth
As far as limitations go...I've heard a lot of hip hop DJ's say that they are branching out to play other types of gigs because there is much more money involved. From a business standpoint, playing ONLY hip hop (or ONLY rock or ONLY country, etc) is definitely a limitation as far being able to become bigger as a DJ. It's kinda like working at a restaurant and ONLY knowing how to wash dishes. If you want to work more hours, you need to branch out & learn how to cook, serve, etc so you are more valuable to the organization.

Now, as you said, you are doing this more for the love than the money (which is also what I do). Playing what you love is what keeps the game "pure". If you are enjoying yourself when U spin, then the crowd will enjoy themselves even more because they will be feeding off you. Not to mention, if you specialize in hip hop, old school, etc....then you can REALLY turn a party out.

Bottom line, if you're doing this for extra cash...then why not play what you enjoy?? But, if you plan on tryna do bigger events and promotions, you'd definitely be better off working with other genres as well.

DJ Scorpio

aka Big Daddy
I learned how to play at clubs at a college club...where the students came from all around the country and different parts of the world. I had to put down different genres in sets so I could play a little somethng for everyone. I spun sets of current and old school hip hip/R&B, house, reggae, booty shake and even some go-go for the DC heads. My style had to be diverse to keep the crowd coming back. Of course everyone's not gonna feel music they didn't like, but they knew I was going to rock their genre when I got to it. It was a good learning experience for me as it taught me how to read a diverse crowd so I could know when to switch to whatever. Oh yeah, I did some part time work at a gospel station and I got booked to do events like gospel fashions shows and such, so my collection includes gospel for when the need arises.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
I definitely agree with many of the things that have been said so far.

Just as some of you all here have had to cross genres to appeal to different crowds...I had to do the same when I was at my college in Florida. Someone on the outside may say "all you played was rap"...but believe me, it was hard as hell to please EVERYONE, even though the crowds were all black and in college. Chicago, NY, L.A., Atlanta, Louisiana, and Florida all have completely different sounds, and there are songs that are regional to all of us...so it took me a few months to learn how to mix things up and balance them. I hated some of the songs I'd play from other cities, but I loved some of them as well...so even when I played the 2-3 songs I hated, I could play the 5-10 I loved, and get great reaction, so it did balance.

I do feel like I can be a bit selective as bluefan said...because I have a full time 40 hr a week job, and I don't even want to have more than 3 events per week, because I will be burnt the hell out...and when I do have these events, I HAVE TO enjoy them, or it will just feel like I'm working overtime.

"Now, as you said, you are doing this more for the love than the money (which is also what I do). Playing what you love is what keeps the game "pure". If you are enjoying yourself when U spin, then the crowd will enjoy themselves even more because they will be feeding off you. Not to mention, if you specialize in hip hop, old school, etc....then you can REALLY turn a party out." - Diamond Dog

I definitely agree with that...and that made me realize that you can tell who is really familiar with a genre, versus those who just play a few songs because they "have to appeal to a different crowd." When I go to mixed clubs where the DJ may not specialize in Hip Hop, he'll tend to play the overtypical Rap songs that are hella commercial, such as "Yeah" "In da club" or even "Baby got back", and most people who are into rap the most will not care as much for these songs anymore, and won't feel them as much.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
djmistayung205 said:
In a sense it depends to me...

think about artists that switch musical styles. Some call it going pop, commercial, etc. Sometimes it helps the artist go to the next level...others not. There are some artists that say they will never change and will stay true to their core fan base. Some of these artists go on to become successful and wealthy...others find themselves having to change to find new avenues of records sales, income, etc.

Hard to answer that but personally I would not limit myself to one type of music. I may SPECIALIZE in one particular genre but bruh you gotta leave yaself open to options IMO
I feel you...however, I think that tends to be within genres, because each genre is still diverse as hell. When a rapper goes "pop", it could mean that he's an East Coast rapper attempting to make a Down South track because that's what's hot...but you'll rarely see an artist completely switch genres.

I feel that being a rap DJ, you could specialize in Down South, crunk, thug/dope boy style, 90's East coast, 80's east coast, 90's West, New Jack swing, R&B/Rap...but you're still being diverse just by playing different songs from all of those eras and styles.

djmistae

djmistae.com
look at it this way.. you're a hip hop dj and you love it and you play out at the weekends, but there aren't enough nights in your area for you to make a living, so you pick up a day job too, just to keep the $$$ coming in.

but there's also college nights during the week, where the music is garbage pop music or whatever. But you could make tasty $$$ doing that instead of doin the mind-numbing day job. Plus you'd be in a club learning more about djing, you can use a different dj name or whatever, you're in the club meeting different promoters and djs.. you let the manager know you're mainly a hip hop dj by trade.. and he knows your reliable and professional because you've been doing the commercial nights consistently. So when he has hip hop nights on at the college you can pick those up too.

So as long as you make sure it isn't detrimental to the 'proper' djing you're really into, why not play other styles of music? at the end of the day you're gonna make more dj connections in a night club than working the check out at kmart.

anyone see Jay Z walk out at Glastonbury?

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
djmistae said:
look at it this way.. you're a hip hop dj and you love it and you play out at the weekends, but there aren't enough nights in your area for you to make a living, so you pick up a day job too, just to keep the $$$ coming in.

but there's also college nights during the week, where the music is garbage pop music or whatever. But you could make tasty $$$ doing that instead of doin the mind-numbing day job. Plus you'd be in a club learning more about djing, you can use a different dj name or whatever, you're in the club meeting different promoters and djs.. you let the manager know you're mainly a hip hop dj by trade.. and he knows your reliable and professional because you've been doing the commercial nights consistently. So when he has hip hop nights on at the college you can pick those up too.

So as long as you make sure it isn't detrimental to the 'proper' djing you're really into, why not play other styles of music? at the end of the day you're gonna make more dj connections in a night club than working the check out at kmart.

anyone see Jay Z walk out at Glastonbury?
It makes sense, but I guess I've never been in that situation, or even been asked to play anything else.

I have a solid job that is my base, and DJing is only going to be a part time job for me. If I was in another area, that might happen...but in L.A., there is always a demand for my style of music, especially since I'm not a straight club DJ. Most of my gigs are actually mobile...and there's always a reunion or wedding going on for me to do.

Thing is, if I was cool with a DJ who did somethin that wasn't my style, I might be able to pick up on that style...and if I had connections who did different styled events, I may have the offers. I could see myself being on stuck and "having to" do those kind of events if I didn't have a reliable job...but at this point, even though my job is hella cool, I am burnt the hell out by the time I'm done...so I would really feel like I'm stressin myself if I was doing a different style.

I don't really think it would hurt me to try something else, but in all honesty...I have no idea where to even start. The same way a straight techno or house DJ may say "I gotta play rap? Well....I got 50 Cent, Soulja Boy, and some Puffy" I'd be the same way with pop...and for rock, house, etc. I'd really be lost. I may have been "limited" in that I've always been around environments where all I listened to was black music...I went to a mixed HS, but even the asians and hispanics there listened to rap, so I never heard much Pop or anything unless I hit up mixed clubs.

I think it is easier for people who have grown up hearing all those different forms of music, because they know what's good and what's not....with other genres, I could hear two songs that both suck or sound the same to me, while the fans may LOVE one song and hate the next.

DJ enCore

yessir...I can honestly, proudly say that I can spin spanish, Hip-hop, r&b, Top 40, country, retro/80's&90's, dance, & rock all together in one night. It's no problem for me, because I love all types of music, and I grew up on all types of music. And yeah, str8 up, if you say that you only play rap, you will get a lot of closed doors. So mainly what most clubs call for would be "Top 40". But what they don't understand is, all this "rap stuff" is in the Top 40, that's what Top 40 is nowadays. Then they're like "well, play more pop and dance music". So then I start doing that and ppl look at me like I'm crazy. All these white folks in the club, they wanna hear the Soulja Boy and VIC and Lil wayne. They don't wanna hear freakin Miley Cyrus and Brittney Spears all night. Anyway, I'm gettin off topic, LOL....

yeah it is easier for ppl like me who've grown up with very wide musical tastes and have been exposed to that all of our lives. I can give all the credit to my moms and pops for that though, word.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
DJ enCore said:
yessir...I can honestly, proudly say that I can spin spanish, Hip-hop, r&b, Top 40, country, retro/80's&90's, dance, & rock all together in one night. It's no problem for me, because I love all types of music, and I grew up on all types of music. And yeah, str8 up, if you say that you only play rap, you will get a lot of closed doors. So mainly what most clubs call for would be "Top 40". But what they don't understand is, all this "rap stuff" is in the Top 40, that's what Top 40 is nowadays. Then they're like "well, play more pop and dance music". So then I start doing that and ppl look at me like I'm crazy. All these white folks in the club, they wanna hear the Soulja Boy and VIC and Lil wayne. They don't wanna hear freakin Miley Cyrus and Brittney Spears all night. Anyway, I'm gettin off topic, LOL....

yeah it is easier for ppl like me who've grown up with very wide musical tastes and have been exposed to that all of our lives. I can give all the credit to my moms and pops for that though, word.
LOL well as I said in the post...I can do more than just Rap alone, and I could see closed doors if I ONLY did rap...but I definitely couldn't do Spanish, Top 40, and country.

It depends on the city and region...but there is a crowd here that goes for Jazz, some go for straight 80's R&B, some for 70's soul, some for Funk, some Disco, etc. etc...so I guess I'm good here, and don't feel limited. If I was somewhere that there was no market for any of those, then yeah, I might be assed out.

I see what you are sayin about doing mixed events...I'm sure it's hard as hell to please everyone there. I have been to mixed Hollywood events, Orange County CA parties, as well as Panama City, and it was a nearly identical format. Most of the whites, asians, and hispanics seem to like most of the music unless it gets "too hood"...but the ones from the region will ride with it and love it the same way. They'll still sing "Ain't no fun" in L.A., or "I'm so hood" in Florida. However, most blacks, especially black DJ's who only do Rap, will be like "the DJ's there sucked" but I am like "damm, they had to mix it up for that crowd...you can't knock em"

da blur

ProfessionalEntertainment
Play what ever you want but if you only play hiphop&Rnb be the best you can be... try to be more diverse and open but dont sell out and play some shit you dont want just for $.. (unless its a boatload of cash)

kaos456

i play hip hop, mid school hip hop, old school hip hop, new school R&B, mid school R&B, old school R&B, motown, disco, top40, salsa, merengue, bachata, reggaeton, house, freestyle, new & old school reggae very well (imo)LOL.
i have the music to do country & rock but i havent had them gigs yet.
i love the diversity. its like playing those 1am club bangers all night just in diffrent genres.
as far as only playing hip hop. hip hop is deverse. my serato crates are hip hop> east coast> the east coast current> then east coast bangers> then hood classics. then i have a south crate> then south bounce> then south snap> then south crunk> then south fast> then south bangers. then i have a mid school crate, then 2 diffrent old school crates, the a west coast crate> then west coast bangers, then i have a local crate. then i have a party breaks crate. shit thats like 18 diffrent types of hip hop right there. remember back in the day every hip hop album had a slow cut, then every had a reggae cut, then everyone had a house cut, then some had a reggaeton cut. now its getting back to the more uptempo housey stuff. thats diverse

i might like hip hop more than other genres i play. but i get high off controlling the crowd., making them go banannas. i can do that over & over again playing diffrent types of music.
im blessed cause were i live (westside of cleveland) we have just about equal amounts of white, black & puerto rican's all living together & i can rock any one of thier events.

latinblood2k1

Coming from a very diverse DJ that plays everything from Arabic to Rock I personally think that it would be very beneficial for you to cater diff styles of music! Not only would it surprise the crowd and have them look @ u differently but it will also get u booked BIG TIME. A lot of people around here gets surprised on how I`m able to have and spin some of the best arabic and bhangra (punjabi) songs around knowing damn well I`m hispanic. Same applies to hispanic music and ravers that just cause I`m a DJ I only spin for hiphop since there`s more demand for that. A lot of peeps here are very stereotypical where if they were to look @ u they`d automatically think that u only play this genre just for the tone of ur skin color. I enjoy music w/ a passion enough for me to like all style of music including international! My fav type would have to be underground house/trance and hardstyle bass but I don`t see myself staying strictly to that! I feel as if I were to spin only rave music that I would only attract the ravers and if I were to spin a lot of genres it would attract more people which than ends up getting me booked more. The interesting part is when u go to a gig and u know ur going to play something diff cuz every gig is diff when u have diff peeps coming up to you and asking if u could play this unlike if I were to spin for a hiphop joint I`d end up gettin a lot of lil wayne req where if I were to spin for a diff minority I`d end up gettin diff reqs that has to do w/ their culture or their style of music. Its a good feeling when u have people that comes up to you and asks how ur able to mix "bellydance music" if ur not able to understand it! I always tell em that its just in me! I love music for what it is and I can read it pretty well I don`t need to listen to the lyrics in order to beatmatch. I`m just bringing up the international theme as a example don`t take it as if u have to spin international music just to get a lot of recognition I just prefer to stay diverse since I love music in general but I can deff understand from ur point of view on why u strictly only spin to urban music since u`ve pretty much grown up w/ that! But the thing tho is that its always good to have some sort of backup u may never know when u`ll need some Reggaeton or baltimore club! Its always good to have em in handy since a lot of people expects u to carry loads of music just cause ur a DJ.

Last edited:

MiamiHustler

DJ TARIQUE
I know your new @ Djing, and (really based off the fact you said, you don't even really know how to DJ your not really truly a Dj as of yet but a student of the game.) When I first started as a DJ seriously I limited myself also thinking just as you thought, "I was brought up on Black Music, Loved Hip Hop so that was what I was gonna stick to"! I got a rude awaking trying to get a gig on South Beach @ My first gig I was blessed because walking down the street I picked up another night @ A Famous Hip Hop Club (I mean of course for very little pay & on an off night) But anyway my first gig it was with another DJ and the crowd was mostly hispanic and liked reggaeton and all the other spanish genres like that, So i got up there played my little Hip Hop Set and they liked it but it was just ok (blurr..) then he got on with that hispanic stuff and rocked the party like crazy I mean a whole total different reaction! From that day I new that Hip Hop or African American music along just wasn't going to cut it!

See me I'm not a wedding DJ, or a childrens party Dj, or a Family Reunion Dj, I'M A CLUB DJ & I stand by that, I don't do certain mobile gigs because its not my style anymore! I won't do certain clubs because its not my style anymore because I know certain parties where the promoters gonna do a have job and no one is gonna show up!

But me being a club dj I don't limit myself to the Club Music I play meaning it can be Hip Hop, Rock, Disco whatever... If the crowds wants it then I will give it to them, no questions asked. Of course my foundation is Hip Hop just about every dj on this board foundation is Hip Hop but you have to branch off and most important as a DJ you have to play not what you love to hear but what your crowd and audience loves to hear. Bump the Bullshit...

With me I always have been a fan of music, a student of music before being a DJ.. I was always an old school head from a young age, and I started studying and play Jazz (Drum kit) @ the age of 7..

In the past few years I have become a huge fan of Classic Rock like Pink Floyd, Bon Jovi, The Eagles etc.... and as of recently I have been learning House Music and all the genres of that (already loved classic 90's house.) and not only am I starting to like the music and just listen to it because it's me and my taste but the biggest reason I love it is because When I do a club and play the records the response I get from it from the crowds are CRAZY!, I am big on response from crowds when I spin so what ever genre is gonna make the crowds go wow is the genres I'm gonna play! Don't limit yourself no matter if you do this for business or a hobby or both, Be a student of the game and a student of music, For more info on Djs that Do it all look up DJ AM, DJ IRIE, DJ KAST ONE, DJ VICE, DJ CAMILO, DJ CLINTON SPARKS & DJ JAZZY JEFF (Just to name a few). And Don't play music u like, Play Music the Crowd Likes!!

R-Tistic said:
DJing is my second/night time occupation, and overall, it is something that I enjoy doing. For me, I enjoy events where I can play music I enjoy hearing, and what I have an ear for...and that is usually any event that I don't have to play 100% straight off of MTV/commercial radio rap, and any event that I can play older R&B/soul or anything else. I have had a few people tell me "you are limiting yourself as a DJ if you don't play Pop/Rock/House" and "you will never be a major DJ if you only do Rap/R&B/Soul/Jazz (black music)".

In my opinion, I just don't have the ear for pop/rock/house, and don't enjoy listening to it or playing it...and regardless of what people say, doing Rap/R&B/Soul/Jazz etc. is still being VERY diverse, because each of those have 10-15 genres within it. So is it wrong for me to not have the desire to play any other styles of music, even though every event I've been asked to do has never required me to play these types? If I never become a MAJOR DJ because of this, it really won't bother me at all...I just don't see myself ever getting into other styles of music like that.

I really think it's hard for someone who is a fan of Pop/Rock/House/etc. to believe that you can truly be diverse if you only do "black" music, because they see it as all the same...but most of us realize that within Rap, there are 15-20 different styles, and it's not many DJ's who could even do half of those effectively...and the same goes for R&B, Jazz, Gospel, and all else.

I don't like sounding like one of those "do it for the love, fuck money" type of people...but that's really what it is. If somebody offered me $500 to do an event where I had to play house, rock, and pop, and someone else offered me $350 or $400 for a rap/R&B event, I'd easily take the Rap/R&B with no question. I feel that there are DJ's that cater to every style of music, and aiming to be "TOO diverse" can actually be a hinderance for many people.

I basically feel like I'm just working overtime for my regular job if I'm playing music I don't want to hear...but when I can play songs that I love just as much as the crowd loves, then it's win-win and I'm basically being paid to have fun.

Let me know what you think about this issue.

DJ Breaking_

I"m gonna make u dance
Being a dj of comparative genres aint nothing bad, U do it for love and can become a great dj of that genre. But as for me, I prefer to be diverse. I just keep mixing with songs for what the song (lyrics) mean about, I dont really stick to just a type of rhythm. Of course, I first get stuck only with reggaeton, but I now mix also with hip hop, R&B, pop, techno, rock. I love the beats, for the pellas whenever its not diss or lloriqueo, I enjoy any party song and to mix with it. As for the crowd, they be feeling me, it isnt necesary for them to request me an exact type of music. So I think its great to be diverse, U know if you dont like what singers are doing with a genre, u change it how you like it and make it better as a dj. Thats the fun for me when remixing.

djmistayung205

To sum it all up in a nutshell its like this...you gotta have something in the bag for everybody pimp...of course, I can go deep in certain genres of music, typically being urban oriented. But I would never limit myself for any reason, whether it be for the lack of knowledge of other genres or whatever. Music is too available on the net nowadays for a DJ to not be well equipped at a gig. Plus your ears and crowd requests are your best tools. I mean don't get me wrong, it would take a stone dummy to go into Club Sabor Tropics with a HD full of Down South Trap Bangers and booty music...likewise, it would be plain stupid to go into Club Hood Hop with a CD book fulla Reggaeton. But if you have an ear for music period, you should be able to pick up on the vibe in the room. If you're not well equipped the first night out, then listen to the requests from the crowd and round up what you can during the week so by the weekend you are ready to give em what they want a little bit better.

It's called programming folks...radio stations use it all the time. Ever listened to a brand new station and they just playing random songs? But then a month or so down the line they running a format with commercials and the whole nine...same thing. If you have a day job and DJ'ing is just something you do at leisure then maybe you won't take it as serious as a person who treats DJ'ing as a day job. It CAN be just as serious as punching a nine to five but it takes just a much dedication...HELL EVEN MORE TO BE HONEST!

ced_so_thoed

ay
I feel what a lot of y'all are saying, but then again, if you are always getting booked from playing a type of genre, then it's hard to mix in new genres to a crowd that came to the club to here what they would dance to. I tried doing the top 40 thing and it just didn't work out for me. I couldn't get into it like the music I grew up to. Some music I just don't flat out like. And I know it makes me look closed minded to the outsider but it doesn't make me bob my head or tap my foot. I would want to just be me and being me is hip hop. And if YOU can venture out and enjoy other genres, then you knock yourself out and get paid at the same time. Don't force yourself to like something because you will never be happy.
yep