• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

My Technics pitch keeps fluctuating...

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
I have two Tech 12s and I use them with Serato. I had the pitch mod done on it, and each of the pitches reach to abotu 10.5 and 11.2 % versus the regular 8.

This worked fine until the last few times I used them. On one of the tables, which is the same table that has experienced RCA problems, the pitch seems to fluctuate after I use it for a few minutes...so if it's supposed to be at +6%, it'll go back and forth between +2% and +6%...or if it's supposed to be at 11%, it'll drop and fluctuate from 0-11%, and sometimes even go negative. I wonder if there is any way to fix or re-adjust this issue.

djmistayung205

pimpin sounds like you catchin heyull with that TT...

maybe you got a bad one from the jump, not sure, but hopefully someone here can help you

bluefan101

Registered Post Offender
Did you do the mods yourself or did you have someone do them for you? It sounds like a loose solder at the connection points on the board for the RCAs, but the pitch...not too sure. It could be getting a bad signal from the RCAs and throwing the pitch off. Have you tried it with a regular vinyl? See if it does the same thing. If it does, replacing the pitch controls isn't that hard. There's two mount points and two solder points. You can pick up the hardware from 1200s.com

DjTito

Tu Socio
R-Tistic said:
I have two Tech 12s and I use them with Serato. I had the pitch mod done on it, and each of the pitches reach to abotu 10.5 and 11.2 % versus the regular 8.

This worked fine until the last few times I used them. On one of the tables, which is the same table that has experienced RCA problems, the pitch seems to fluctuate after I use it for a few minutes...so if it's supposed to be at +6%, it'll go back and forth between +2% and +6%...or if it's supposed to be at 11%, it'll drop and fluctuate from 0-11%, and sometimes even go negative. I wonder if there is any way to fix or re-adjust this issue.
Replace the pitch slider...Ive had this happen to me on 2 different pairs of Technics 12's after having them for a long time. Its only a four pin connection
http://www.pssl.com/!rGiTakhNaAQPajL9j4u5-Q!/Technics-Parts-4-Pin-Pitch-Control-SL1200-s

That should fix your fluctuation problem.

djxquake

i agree, replace the slider and check the first row of dots with the red strobe at +6 if your techs need calibrating. there is rumor that panasonic will stop producing genuine 1200 mk2 parts in japan, so now is a good time to pick that up.

if your loosing the right or left channel outputs check the head shell wires going to the cart, if not its possibly the rca cable. and if you changed out the rca cable or did the ground wire mod then check the small fragile 4 colored wires that are soldered on the board where the rcas soldered to. those wires go to the tonearm to the needle pick up.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
I ended up just buying the new ones last week...I have had hella problems with those, mainly because they were old, and I didn't keep em in flight cases....I had em on top of the speaker in my backseat, which was a terrible idea, and I'm sure that's where most problems came from. I ALWAYS keep these new ones in flight cases when I transport them.

djxquake

technics are bulletproof meaning in a sense that it never dies, the life span fuckin amazes me. i seen tables that were manufactured from the 1970s and still going strong.

but not a bad move especially when you need it for business, its always good to buy an extra set of 1200s. although i dont think having a deck sitting on top of a speaker could have caused it to fluctuate. if you needed a wider pitch control the new sl1210m5gs can go up to +/- 16.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I bought the M5Gs...I won't even need them as much in L.A. though.

But I was just saying that most of my problems came from the tables being on top of the speaker, because I'm sure they had to take hella pressure just from bouncing on them with no cushion, and being transported without cases. The ground wire came off one, the power button broke on one, the anti-skate control broke off, the RCA's had a short in them, and now the pitch issue...I just said fuggit let me buy some new ones!!

DJ Academic

I have 2 1210's and one of them just started doing this off an on. It's not noticable to the people partying but it had me scared to death cause I can hear it.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
^The first time mine did it, I was doin a laid back event...but somebody was like "ohhh you puttin it down for Texas, you screwin it up! I like that!" and I was like "yeah fa sho......(why the hell is it doin this????)"

I am lucky I had Serato...I just switch to Internal mode real fast.

kaos456

its a good idea to spray contact cleaner in your pitch control & faders of your mixer from time to time. & oil them turntables to.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
Ain't this about a bitch....

I was DJing this past Friday, and one of my brand new 1210 M5Gs started doin the SAME fuckin thing.....I was even wondering if it had anything to do with Serato or even the mixer somehow...but when I read the dots on the side, I could tell that somethin was off, because it would slow down, then jump every time it went around the platter. Whenever I would scratch a song in, it would start off hella slow, and the pitch would bounce from like +1 to +3, and that is a LOT when you are trying to beatmatch.

I haven't used them since Friday, so I need to check on them and see what's wrong. I still have my other tables, and one of those was still working good...but fucc, this is NOT makin me feel that Technics are the bulletproof brand.

TruMixDJ

Grandmaster-in-Training
R-Tistic said:
Ain't this about a bitch....

I was DJing this past Friday, and one of my brand new 1210 M5Gs started doin the SAME fuckin thing.....I was even wondering if it had anything to do with Serato or even the mixer somehow...but when I read the dots on the side, I could tell that somethin was off, because it would slow down, then jump every time it went around the platter. Whenever I would scratch a song in, it would start off hella slow, and the pitch would bounce from like +1 to +3, and that is a LOT when you are trying to beatmatch.

I haven't used them since Friday, so I need to check on them and see what's wrong. I still have my other tables, and one of those was still working good...but fucc, this is NOT makin me feel that Technics are the bulletproof brand.
R-Tistic, the only thing I can suggest to you at the moment is to test out the new turntables with regular vinyl and see if you get the same symptoms.

If you can play the tables fine using regular vinyl for about an hour or so (depending on whether the symptom happens right away or not), then I guess it's safe to say that you've eliminated the turntable out of the equation.

I don't have Serato to tell you how to troubleshoot from that point, but since I know that there's a calibration step that's required (any Serato users please feel free to correct me or clarify better), could it possibly be your laptop running on low resources and it's resulting in affecting the calibration somehow? :confused:

Like I said, I don't really know Serato first hand myself, just trying to explore other areas to troubleshoot.

DJ RED

DJ Godfather
lol. i dunno. i just think it all depends on how good/bad you treat/take care of your equipment. shit mine are on BACKORDER!!! lol. must be in pretty high demand or sumthin.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
DJ RED said:
lol. i dunno. i just think it all depends on how good/bad you treat/take care of your equipment. shit mine are on BACKORDER!!! lol. must be in pretty high demand or sumthin.
Ah...on what website?

I was pissed off...I ordered the M5Gs from some site.....damn I should remember the name, but it was the cheapest site, and looked hella legit. It said the tables were in stock...so I paid for them, and after 2-3 weeks, I e-mailed them asking where they were. They said, "we don't have them in stock, and are stlil waiting for them. It may be a few more weeks." I said fuuuuuuck that...and definitely got a refund from them.