• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

Questions About Selling Beats

djhforcharity

I have been a dj for about 10 years and just recently I have gotten into making my own stuff. After I put out one song I am having a lot of rappers I know trying to hit me up for a beat. So my question is on average how much would you charge people for your beats when you are just starting out; and what different factors would you consider when selling beats?

Last edited:

Precious P.

THE PRODUCERETTE
Noone can tell you a number or price now, you alone can know what the song is worth to you.
Plus, it sometimes depends if you deal with local artists that are independent or if they are signed to a major label.
The more money the artist has, the more you can go for, even if it seems too over the top for you sometimes.
At many times I was surprised about how much some artists are really willing to pay, they accepted the first price with no problem.
If they are signed, make sure you'll be mentioned and get points per sale.
If you want to do this real professional, get a lawyer who is specialized in the music biz... I have nothing but good experiences with that...

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
^^Yeah, that's all good advice.

It is a VERY thing to put a price on. There are also too many variations to include, and many ways to do the contract, if you even use one.

I just know first hand...there's nothin worst than letting some random no-name or average cat have your track...then meeting a major artist and having them want to use the same track. Half the time, they'll use it anyway, because they know nobody will even hear the other one...but it's still not good for business.

djhforcharity

Thanks for the feedback. God I love this sight. I will consider all of the tips and I really appreciate it. And still if anyone as anything else to add; please feel post stuff.

DJ Master O

www.myflowbeats.com
Ok what about when someone wants to buy your beat at an exclusive price. Owning the rights to your beat. How does that work? Do I transfer my copyrighted beat to him or I have to just right up document and have it in writing??

ICIP

yea mayne..if you feel like you can make beats at a fast pace sell em fast and low..theres no such thing as your best beat..just move em youll know when you can jack up ya price

LLManagement

DJ Master O said:
Ok what about when someone wants to buy your beat at an exclusive price. Owning the rights to your beat. How does that work? Do I transfer my copyrighted beat to him or I have to just right up document and have it in writing??
Have a contract drawn up for the sale of the beat. If you're going to be receiving royalties(depending on what he uses it for) then they should also be included.

DJ Master O

www.myflowbeats.com
I have been searching and I found a few contracts around but nothing really pertaining to selling beats..I remember seeing one around here but i can't seem to find it..If anybody can post up a link. thanks..

jawar

Make Money Online
djhforcharity said:
I have been a dj for about 10 years and just recently I have gotten into making my own stuff. After I put out one song I am having a lot of rappers I know trying to hit me up for a beat. So my question is on average how much would you charge people for your beats when you are just starting out; and what different factors would you consider when selling beats?
LEASE BEATS MAKE MONEY
MUSIC INDUSTRY CONNECTION

Dj David C.

k

DJ Master O said:
I have been searching and I found a few contracts around but nothing really pertaining to selling beats..I remember seeing one around here but i can't seem to find it..If anybody can post up a link. thanks..
Here you go dude, have use this over 300 times last year alone. This is really simple. You name your terms. Can be use as a non exclusive or exclusive deal.Just change my name and fill in the blanks. This was draft by my lawyer.As you start off, you need to keep it simple,as you build a name for yourself. This will open in note pad, and ready to print.

Any question, hit me back.
http://www.djssendit.com/25477

Last edited:

bjobson

FIE TRAXX!!
What's the best website out for selling beats online? I know there are quite a few out there and i'm currently a part of one but which ones would you suggest?