• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

The promoter versus the crowd.....

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
I know this is an issue that EVERYONE here has had. It seems as if promoters will always have their vision of what they want to be played at the club, while the crowd tends to always want something different.

How do you all deal with this issue, and how do you balance it to where both sides are happy? In the best scenario, the promoter is just like "do you, play what you feel and what the crowd wants to hear" and that works best...but sometimes, they will feel like "don't play anything old" "just play R&B" "play ALL south" "don't play anything for the thugs" "play the HOT music" etc. etc. while the crowd may want the opposite.

Basically...the promoters SHOULD just be happy as long as the crowd is happy and under control. I can understand some of the things they'll say, or the direction they may want to lead the crowd...but this doesn't always work. Main problem is...the crowd will NEVER be like "damn, the DJ is playing wack music....it must be because the promoter told him to, I'm sure he's good"....the only thing they will say is "damn, the DJ here is wack". Therefore, it's a reflection of us...and in most cases, I'd rather risk keeping the crowd happy than the promoter, because at the end of the night, the DJ AND promoter look best if the night was live...even if it didn't fulfill the promoter's vision.

AwDaMaDDiX

**** U round eye!
When I first started out, I listened a lot to promoters and club owners. Got sick of that shit man. I want to play what I personally think will rock the crowd and enjoy myself at the same time. I'm the dj...I pay attention to the dancefloor...I hear the cheers and screams. This crowd is mine bitch!

Nowadays owners and promoters just let me do my thing cause I started giving them all the fuck off treatment. They don't regret letting me do my thing now either.

"You don't like how I play? Find another dj"

MiamiHustler

DJ TARIQUE
AwDaMaDDiX said:
When I first started out, I listened a lot to promoters and club owners. Got sick of that shit man. I want to play what I personally think will rock the crowd and enjoy myself at the same time. I'm the dj...I pay attention to the dancefloor...I hear the cheers and screams. This crowd is mine bitch!

Nowadays owners and promoters just let me do my thing cause I started giving them all the fuck off treatment. They don't regret letting me do my thing now either.

"You don't like how I play? Find another dj"

I know some promoters that damn will find another DJ..

I am the type of DJ that just rocks crowds and shuts the club down... I hate when a promoter tells me what to play and how to play it.. My job is to rock the party and keep it live, your job is to bring the crowd in this mother fucker.. But then again as a promoter and DJ u have to be aware of the bar and bottles sales! When a bitch to damn hype they aint gonna be thinking about hitting the bar for another drink they gonna be afraid to leave the floor because there favorite song is playing now and they other fav is next

djamf

This is a tough situation. This does happen to me on occasion. If a promoter wants what he wants played that bad, I'll go ahead and play it. Then once he sees how f*cked up the party is, they'll have a change of heart REAL quick. It never fails.

But most of the time I know the promoter and they know what I do. So they let me play as I see fit with the crowd I have in front of me (without getting to wild with it). And everyone is happy.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
MiamiHustler said:
I know some promoters that damn will find another DJ..

I am the type of DJ that just rocks crowds and shuts the club down... I hate when a promoter tells me what to play and how to play it.. My job is to rock the party and keep it live, your job is to bring the crowd in this mother fucker.. But then again as a promoter and DJ u have to be aware of the bar and bottles sales! When a bitch to damn hype they aint gonna be thinking about hitting the bar for another drink they gonna be afraid to leave the floor because there favorite song is playing now and they other fav is next
Yeah, I mean every promoter has different reasons for "controlling" what the DJ plays, but it's just a hard balance...it's hard enough dealin with the crowd alone.

Some promoters don't want you playing anything that is "crunk", especially in the south, because they know that certain songs will start fights...so I can agree with that. Last night, my boy did a major Hollywood spot...he did the outside which is really the main part, and PJ Butta was inside. The promoter told him to play nothin but R&B and to keep it "mellow" outside, and that PJ would be inside havin it "knockin" on that dancin tip. Well...just as many Hollywood spots are, everybody was outside, and they kept comin up to us like "can y'all play somethin we can all dance to?" as usual.

I told him from the jump...you can start on that R&B tip, but later on, fucc what the promoter locc was sayin, do whatever it takes to keep the energy up...because it's a large crowd, and it's very visible to where they can see exactly who's DJin..and we aren't gonna say "hey, we wanna play what y'all wanna hear, but the promoter said for us to play R&B!!" and along with that, another DJ was doin it...so when he went up, of course he TRIED to outshine my boy by playin the major hits, but he played em too early n the crowd wasn't even ready.

He ended up playin typical dancin rap and all else....and afterwards, the promoter told him that he wanted him to keep it R&B, and "fuck what the crowd wants, make them follow you" but he also said "you held it down, we all had a good night"......so it's like damm, I feel him that he wanted it to be a straight "grown n sexy" vibe...but low key, most people feel that vibe is boring.

texasskoolboi

fuck what the promotor says... i used to listen n it was always shit.. now i just do my thing n play what the crowd deserves.................

MiamiHustler

DJ TARIQUE
In a situation like that, they want you to keep it mellow and simple because they want a different vibe throught the spot, they dont want the mainroom and the other room on the same level..

I did a Yatch party where the main Dj was outside on the deck and I was inside on the first floor! They wanted me to keep it R&b and mellow and I did for the 1st week and then the 2nd one a month later, I did the R&B thing and people really stayed on my level and vibed with me to the point when the major DJ got cut off early and I just took it up from there and then the promoter decided that he only wanted me all night alone dont worry about the other DJ.. So u know sometimes it is what it is!

R-Tistic said:
Yeah, I mean every promoter has different reasons for "controlling" what the DJ plays, but it's just a hard balance...it's hard enough dealin with the crowd alone.

Some promoters don't want you playing anything that is "crunk", especially in the south, because they know that certain songs will start fights...so I can agree with that. Last night, my boy did a major Hollywood spot...he did the outside which is really the main part, and PJ Butta was inside. The promoter told him to play nothin but R&B and to keep it "mellow" outside, and that PJ would be inside havin it "knockin" on that dancin tip. Well...just as many Hollywood spots are, everybody was outside, and they kept comin up to us like "can y'all play somethin we can all dance to?" as usual.

I told him from the jump...you can start on that R&B tip, but later on, fucc what the promoter locc was sayin, do whatever it takes to keep the energy up...because it's a large crowd, and it's very visible to where they can see exactly who's DJin..and we aren't gonna say "hey, we wanna play what y'all wanna hear, but the promoter said for us to play R&B!!" and along with that, another DJ was doin it...so when he went up, of course he TRIED to outshine my boy by playin the major hits, but he played em too early n the crowd wasn't even ready.

He ended up playin typical dancin rap and all else....and afterwards, the promoter told him that he wanted him to keep it R&B, and "fuck what the crowd wants, make them follow you" but he also said "you held it down, we all had a good night"......so it's like damm, I feel him that he wanted it to be a straight "grown n sexy" vibe...but low key, most people feel that vibe is boring.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
MiamiHustler said:
In a situation like that, they want you to keep it mellow and simple because they want a different vibe throught the spot, they dont want the mainroom and the other room on the same level..

I did a Yatch party where the main Dj was outside on the deck and I was inside on the first floor! They wanted me to keep it R&b and mellow and I did for the 1st week and then the 2nd one a month later, I did the R&B thing and people really stayed on my level and vibed with me to the point when the major DJ got cut off early and I just took it up from there and then the promoter decided that he only wanted me all night alone dont worry about the other DJ.. So u know sometimes it is what it is!
It's a hard call...I can definitely understand that they may want a different vibe like that...and in many cases, it's just hard as hell to please both sides. It seems like regardless of what kind of event I do, the crowd always prefers to be hype, or to have whatever music will make them hype...even if it's a VERY laid back event or even something that has parents and older adults there.

With this one...I think SOME equilibrium may have been reached if he played R&B that was still more uptempo and club-ish, without playing the hard rap songs...but even then, females would still keep comin up like "why aren't you playing _______"....and ironically, whenever we'd go inside, the DJ inside wasn't even keepin it hype at that level, so it's like damm what's really goin on?

I think it's always gonna be some conflict and issues when there are 2-3 DJ's in one spot. DJ's ALL have MAJOR egos, as this site proves LOL, and they ALL think they are best, and want to do what they do...so whenever someone takes away creative control, rebellion starts to sneak in. It's even worst if two DJ's have similar style or taste.