• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

Tips to upcoming producers

Adara

5 Important tips (FOR HIP HOP PRODUCERS)
Comparison to other songs:
A good mixing technique is comparing your mix to a mix of a song you like or one that's considered very good (mixing wise). Listening to your favorite song on the speakers you mix on helps you evaluate the highs, mids and lows of your own track.(but the music you're using as reference has to be cd quality....Don't use radio as a reference)
Arrangment:
A sure sign of an amatuer production is letting every instrument play throughout the entire song. This is one of the many differences between a "beat maker" and an actual producer. If you want to get people to listen to the whole song, your mix has to build from the begining to the end and always have one focal point (meaning a main melody that plays througout the song). Try varying when certain instruments and sound fx come in during the 16 bar verse. Change it up. Keep the listener guessing. Always Make sure you include a hook as well. The easiest way to do all this is to make the entire beat 1st. Then make the changes in the sequence later on.
Watch how much you boost:
If your gonna mess around with eq...make sure you know what your doing first. Example: If the kick is boosted at 80Hz, the b*** shouldn't be boosted at 80Hz. In this case, the b*** should actually be CUT at 80Hz. If not, your lows will sound bad due to the overload in that frequency. Think of the kick and b*** like puzzle peices. Make them fit together. What ever you add to one....take away from the other.(vice versa)
Compression:
Unless you're 100% sure about what each function does, Leave it alone!!! Using compression incorrectly WILL.......I REPEAT.....WILL take away quality from your original sound.(especially if you apply it to the master track.)
Drums:
Drums are the most important part of production in hip hop. If you want to have distinct sound, don't use another producer's signature drums (especially obvious ones like Tim baland or the Nep tunes)! That's their distinct sound.. Stack different drum sounds to make your own signature kicks, snares and claps. An easy way to do this is in FL studio. Import two or three different sounds and click the 1st note of each track. Keep testing different combination of sounds until you hear something you like and export it as a mono or stereo wav file. Also you want to be organized when saving sounds. I personally have 1 folder for drums with sub folders in it to categorize the sounds. (example: kicks, snares and claps.) This makes it easier for me to find a sound I need quickly.

wmsproductions

Get a good team behind you so all you have to focus on is making dope beats. If your doing promotion, marketing, business end/legal stuff plus out every night going to shows to get beat cds to artist it might hurt your craft. Get a good team of people that believe in your music and are willing to grind for the greater good of the team. A good team can go a long way. Also find a dope artist you believe in producer for them and push the music think of it as a calling card for your production

patty jones

What's goin on? I started doin beats back in 95, but I haven't made much in the last year since I've been DJing. However, I can still drop some words of advice to you all. I was with Black Wall Street for a min when Game first came out, and I have done tracks for him, G. Malone, Murs, Kam, and a few other cats. I might get back into it, but I am enjoying DJing a lot more now.

For those of you who've been producing for a while, what tips could you give? It can be about the creation, how you use or sell the beats, networking, or whatever.

Here's some pointers I could give...

-If you are just starting, I think it's fine to imitate your favorite producers in order to learn from them. I used to try to re-create beats that were already out, just to see how close I could get mine to sound. After a while, you have to evolve and develop your own style, because you don't want to be a rip off clone or "poor man's" version of any producer.

-Many companies, artists, A&Rs and the like tend to look for complete songs nowadays, versus just beats. People feel that there are a lot of producers that can make beats, but only some can make it a complete song...and some beats will never sound complete without the right rapper on it.

-Everyone has a different rate of producing songs...but whether you make 5, 10, or 200 a year, make sure you can tell which ones stand out the most. When you are playing beats for someone, they won't be impressed by the number of beats you have, but by the number of beats that catch their ear. It's nothing worst than going through 15, 20 beats, and having some one say "next..." after 10 seconds of each one...especially if that 21st beat is the best one, and they don't even want to hear any more after what you've played.

-Make sure to copyright your music, and learn the business side if you want to get serious. Do NOT let someone have your entire beat without filling out a contract, receiving money, or working out any terms...because you'll always get people to "guarantee to pay you when the album drops" or "they'll pay you after they record the track" and you can easily get played. It doesn't matter if they are from a major company or small time...make sure you work out deals before giving someone your track on CD, MP3, or whatever it is.

-Everyone feels different about this...but in my opinion, don't try too hard to make beats that are "hot", or that have a different sound than what you are used to, just to appeal to another region or fanbase. For beginners and intermediate producers, it's always obvious when they try to make their "club track" "dirty south track" "track for the ladies" "West coast track" or "reggae track"...and many of these tracks sound forced. Being diverse can be a great thing, but having your own sound and style is what is best. People won't go to DJ Premier for a 80 BPM bouncy Club track, and they won't go to Lil Jon for a sampled, East Coast throwback joint...so figure what you're best at and what style you want to aim for, and perfect that.

-Be careful when making trendy beats, because these have the shortest long term value. In 2001-2002, everybody had their imitation Neptunes and Dre beats...03-04, they had their imitation Lil Jon or Kanye West sped up sample Beats...04-05, imitation Scott Storch....05-06, their "snap" beats...and when you listen to these beats now, they sound hella outdated, even if they were good for their time. Therefore, if you don't get those beats out to somebody while that sound is hot, these beats don't have much shelf life.

-Instruments and drum sounds can make a song trendy or timeless...and live instruments will never sound played out, even if the style of the song may sound old or even dated. Synthesizers and certain drum sounds mark the era and time that a song sounds like, which can also make beats sound dated after a few years. The same way that you can recognize an 80's beat, or a 90's G-Funk beat as soon as you hear certain sounds, is the same way that a modern synth beat will sound in a few years.

-Be careful when using samples, because it can be a challenge to clear these tracks if you are dealing with a major. Some clearances can be in the high thousands just to clear...and that will come out of the money they would be paying you since you created the beat.

-Try to think as a rapper and artist, and help come up with concepts, hooks, and ideas for songs, and not just the beat.

-If you can't play the piano well, or if you would like to have someone play a live instrument, don't hesitate to find someone who specializes in playing that instrument. The role of a producer or even "beatmaker" is not just to create every element of the beat, but to bring it all together...and someone who specializes in an instrument can take a simple melody you may have to a completely different level.
Great dear , your post is very helpful for the person which are interested to be a music producer in the future . These are really very helpful and useful tips.

djstag02

I want to thanks R-Tistic and the rest of the guys who gave their inputs in this important topics. To me as a young producer this information is really GOLD!!!! just got to follow your dreams,,, yes man....