• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

What could be wrong with the needle?

MistaChin

Hi again,

I know my needle is messed up but i'd like to know why. It is a stanton cart and needle and it will sometimes play a record fine but other times it will just keep skipping ahead and move towards the centre very quickly. Also, when i pull the record back it will slide across the vinyl towards the outside of the record.

I know i know what you're thinking..."Check the anti-skating". I performed the balancing tone arm set up and the anti-skating is set to zero.

What exactly might be wrong with the needles?
Should i just throw them away and go for some Shure M44-7's?

Respect fam

gswift

Sounds like a worn needle to me, I'd suggest getting some Shures M44-7/G can't go wrong with either, better tracking & higher output (unless you're using N-Pacs). Just make sure you break them in first...Hit up Mikey @ Sunshine Sound on Eglinton, he'll set you up...

MistaChin

Oh and what exactly is the difference between the M44G and the M44-7? Steves Music also on Queen St has them both for $52.99.

gswift

There's a bit of a difference with sound, the M44-7s are aimed more for the Hip-hop/reggae/r&b types of music, bigger on the bass end & crisp highs. The M44-Gs are a little more well rounded, a bit more even across all frequencies with a bit of a dip in the mids. Moog has better prices (Francis knows his shit) but I try to support the local shops. Sunshine Sounds FTW!!! Don't even bother with Steve's they don't care about DJs.

MistaChin

OK so i purchased some m44-g's from Moog and i installed them properly. Just one question, when i move the record back and forth the tonearm will move and the needle moves from side to side but plays fine....i expected this. BUT, when i scratch very fast, the vinyl skips. All the weights are down (yeah i dont care about these records because they're not my traktor vinyls). What gives??? Why is it skipping still??? Maybe it's my shitty ass table that shakes quite a bit when i do really quick baby scratches?

Dont know if it helps but i installed the cartridge all the way to the back of the headshell. I also leveled the tonearm.

Any help would be appreciated fam.

gswift

1st of all what tables do you have?
Here's how mine are set on 1200s:
Carts mounted all the way back on Technics headshells,
Counterwieght at 3.5g
Tonearm height at 4,
Anti-skate at 0
now here's the thing....the bearing (the rubber thing the cantilever is in) ships stiff from the factory, so it has to be broken in. Some ppl let it play all night in a locked groove (last groove on a record) but I find that to be unnescesary needle wear, so I just let it sit on a record for about 3 days. I find this easier cause I just break in a few at a time on my extra turntables, so that I always have about 6 needles (4 mounted on carts & 2 spare stylus) ready to go....

MistaChin

Yeah i got the tech 12's as well. When you say cantilever, do u mean the tonearm? I just switched over from Denon's S5000's, can you tell? lol

MistaChin

ok i just fixed up my settings like urs gswift and the needle isn't moving around so much. It's actually a lot better, still skips but i guess it's because im trying to make it skip by really scratchin the shit outta one of my vinyls. Definitely helped, thanks gswift!

gswift

MistaChin said:
Yeah i got the tech 12's as well. When you say cantilever, do u mean the tonearm? I just switched over from Denon's S5000's, can you tell? lol
The cantilever is the little aluminum(?) part of the stylus that holds the needle, the top of it is painted orange....it's connected to the brass part of the stylus (that's the part that plugs into the cartridge) with a little rubber bearing. It's the bearing that has to be broken in you'll notice after a while that the cantilever starts to move side to side with ease and the cart doesn't move as much causing less skipping. Patience young padwan, you'll be a Jedi soon!!!