• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

What's the difference between a producer & beatmaker?

TJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to hear your opinions on this.... Are you a producer or beatmakers???

djmigzz

To Me A Producer Doesnt Only Supply The Beat.. They Supply The Idea's To The Song.. They Help Produce A Hit And Construst The Beat To The Artists Prefences.. A Beat Maker Just Sells A Beat And If U Buy It.. Its Up 2 U On What U Do 2 It.. The Beatmaker Has Nothin 2 Do With It.. They Dont Help U Make That Hit... They Dont Help U Construst Your Song.. They Only Supply The Beat..

AveMcree

FutureStarDJs/TrapCampEnt
definitely both lol.... its just depends on what the job calls for cuz Ive done both ghost tracks for other big producers and produced some major pop acts and indie dudes as well

Midwest Connect

midwest productions
Yeah, I think the difference between producing and beatmaking is that, when you produce a track your constructing the song as a whole, not just the beat. Your doing writing, mixing, setting up engineers, bascially anything that needs to happen to make a quality song. Some of the big time producers are paid before the actual session, before a beat or anything has even been made, becuase they already know theyre going to get a hit record since the producer has proven it time after time. A Beatmaker, is someone who makes a beat and when someone buys it, they send it off to the artist and the artist does what he/she does. So the "Beatmaker" really has no say in the song's creation, except for the beat of course. Although there are alot of "Beatmakers" out there, thats how every "Producer" started out, and thats as a "Beatmaker." Being a Producer, you have to gain the trust and respect of artists to trust you that what your producing is a hit record. I think thats an important part, is the trust and respect!

R. Pizano

DJ/Producer- 408 Bay Area
Agree with whats been said - beatmakin = just make a beat and thats it while producer = beat plus idea, getting the best performance out of the artist, making sure the best song possible is what is made at the end of the day.

I'm both right now, i dont want to be a beatmaker, i want to be workin on a song from start to finish, giving all my advice, input, etc. to ensure it comes out to be as hot as possible.

lemy

i agree with all thats been said. the beatmaker makes the beat.ironic huh?lol. the producer not only comes up with the beat but also gives ideas, sometimes helps write the track,records the track, and pretty much fine tune the track til it hits perfection.

Precious P.

THE PRODUCERETTE
Beatmaker: Makes a beat structure, hands it to the artist. Done.

Producer: Makes a full arrangement, song etc. and is there for the artist through the whole project. Until the whole project is finished.

da blur

ProfessionalEntertainment
Producer: Arranges song, and comes up with concept, creative process and what not.. very involved in mixing and mastering whole process of the creating song or album
*can also be the artist doing vocals, write or help write lyrics, and even make the beat but does not have to necessarily

Beatmaker: someone who just makes beats? Although if you make tight beats you probably know what you are doing and can be a great producer.

--
But since we don't know all the behind the scenes in the studio and i'm sure they all got several unknown engineers /ghost writers to help, we usually just label "Producer" by whoever made the beat. And even sometimes they get credit for not doing anything.

p.s. i did not read any posts before i wrote that

Last edited:

The Future

Judgement Music Group JMG
Beatmakers: Are what you musical composers they create idea on the instrumental end. They may lack the ability to play keys, bass or vital instruments need to make production complete. Small thing such as crossover sounds to bridge chorus and verse.

Producer: Brings the Best out of the Artist & Beat Maker. They bridge the gap between the two to perfect the overall vision of the sonog can make or break the artist and beatmaker as well as keyboardist, bass player, and any addtional compartment the artist and beatmaker may lack in the production process of the song.

AveMcree

funny thing is, some of the biggest names started off making beats for other producers

Kenya west= No ID
Danja Hands= timberland
timberland & the neptunes= teddy riley
nitti= jermaine dupri & bangladash
polow da don= organized noise
mr. dj= organized noise
fat boi= shawty redd
scott scrotch= dr. dre

the list goes on

so its like I think people use the word "beatmaker" to insult other producers coming up in the game discourage them to get out... its like a bad word like calling a good woman a hoe or somethin

shits getting old... if it wasnt for my dude matt, Id never had my first placement... and yeah I made the beat lol the real word is called co' producer

it doesnt stop you from getting a check, grammy, or a platinum plaque

Last edited:

Precious P.

THE PRODUCERETTE
AveMcree said:
funny thing is, some of the biggest names started off making beats for other producers

Kenya west= No ID
Danja Hands= timberland
mr. dj= organized noise
fat boi= shawty redd
scott scrotch= dr. dre

so its like I think people use the word "beatmaker" to insult other producers coming up in the game discourage them to get out... its like a bad word like calling a good woman a hoe or somethin

shits getting old... if it wasnt for my dude matt, Id never had my first placement... and yeah I made the beat lol the real word is called co' producer
LOL@ scott scrotch... the s was too much,it's scott crotch. :)

TWEeZy

A Producer Brings The Best Out Of The Artist!!

They Have A Vision For A Song & Put The Pieces Of The Puzzle Together.

I Love Being A Producer!!!

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
AveMcree said:

Kenya west= No ID
Danja Hands= timberland
mr. dj= organized noise
fat boi= shawty redd
scott scrotch= dr. dre

the list goes on

it doesnt stop you from getting a check, grammy, or a platinum plaque
That's how it goes nowadays.

Truth is, me being a producer and beat maker (LOL), I realize that if you aren't a major name, it's virtually impossible to PRODUCE for a major artist going by definition. I made a beat that a few major artists were on, but they still said "produced by R-Tistic" next to it. However, according to most people on here, they'd say "all you did was made the beat...you ain't tell em how to ride it or what topic to use" but I wasn't even in the same state when they recorded it.

Also...people always say this...but the majority of major producers don't actually "produce" in that definition nowadays, especially when they are sending the MP3s cross country to artists. I know a lot of artists who got the beats e-mailed to them, and their engineer was basically the producer. For The Game's first album, Just Blaze e-mailed him those beats, and I don't think he even recorded them in the studio with Just...and that's how it goes for a lot of artists.

AveMcree

R-Tistic said:
That's how it goes nowadays.

Truth is, me being a producer and beat maker (LOL), I realize that if you aren't a major name, it's virtually impossible to PRODUCE for a major artist going by definition. I made a beat that a few major artists were on, but they still said "produced by R-Tistic" next to it. However, according to most people on here, they'd say "all you did was made the beat...you ain't tell em how to ride it or what topic to use" but I wasn't even in the same state when they recorded it.

Also...people always say this...but the majority of major producers don't actually "produce" in that definition nowadays, especially when they are sending the MP3s cross country to artists. I know a lot of artists who got the beats e-mailed to them, and their engineer was basically the producer. For The Game's first album, Just Blaze e-mailed him those beats, and I don't think he even recorded them in the studio with Just...and that's how it goes for a lot of artists.

yeah I feel ya pimp.... remember in the Jay-z DVD "fade to black" when timberland was playing those beats saying they were his???? all those beats were Danjahands and he is the original "producer" of that track... he still got credit for it though.....

co'production or "beatmaking" lol are 2 of the same.... all that "your a beat maker" bullshit is just a way to discourage up and comings from being strong in the game
9x's outta 10, all those big names just get someone else to make the beat for them and since they got the connection, they pass those beats on...

producers play different roles in projects... I feel like if someone made the track and they get it "placed" on a project, they are the "producer"

ifuneedbeats

AveMcree said:
yeah I feel ya pimp.... remember in the Jay-z DVD "fade to black" when timberland was playing those beats saying they were his???? all those beats were Danjahands and he is the original "producer" of that track... he still got credit for it though.....

co'production or "beatmaking" lol are 2 of the same.... all that "your a beat maker" bullshit is just a way to discourage up and comings from being strong in the game
9x's outta 10, all those big names just get someone else to make the beat for them and since they got the connection, they pass those beats on...

producers play different roles in projects... I feel like if someone made the track and they get it "placed" on a project, they are the "producer"
Did he have Danja wit him when he claimed the tracks? so that means they been workin together for some time then!

AveMcree

ifuneedbeats said:
Did he have Danja wit him when he claimed the tracks? so that means they been workin together for some time then!

danjahands was no where to be found when he played those tracks nor was he in any legal situation lol....

it was because of that and the track he got off to "the game" why he legally binded Danjahand to his production team...

trust me I know what Im talking about cuz Ive been thru that same thing

alot of big name producers will take your track, then try to do a 50-50 deal when they place it... aint nothing wrong w/ that but how would you feel if someone said they were the greatest and they didnt do 100% of that track??

but then again dude could say what he wants as long as he makes sure I get my credit lol

SamAddams

What about "producers" like George Avakian who produced Miles Davis' Columbia sessions? He NEVER played an instrument, composed a song, or arragned anything. As a matter of fact, MOST producers in the 40's, 50's, and 60's never played. They just put together the sessions. So with that being said, are we all "producing?" Just wanted to play devil's advocate for a little while!!!

Uncle Sam

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
^Quincy Jones was the same way...I'm sure he could play instruments, but he really just put everything together.

Overall...there is no set definition of "producer". For one, an "executive producer" may not even be present during the recordings, but will oversee the entire project...while some "exec producers" will be the artist who's doing the album. As for a song producer and the credits they get...we've seen it all, from those who will be credited as "producer" although they didn't touch a single instrument or do any of the arrangements, to those that write the music and give it to musicians, to those that played every instrument...and anything inbetween. With ghost producers, the credited producer may not have done a single thing but EQ the drums, if that.

Snoop had an interview a while back, and they asked him about Dre being labeled as having ghost producers...and he said something like "Warren and Daz would make the melody or whatever, but Dre would put the entire song together, so he PRODUCED it. Anybody can make a beat, but can they PRODUCE a hit song?" That stirred up a lot of discussion, because people started trying to separate themselves and say "I am not just a beatmaker...I PRODUCE songs."

AveMcree

here is the definition... please read this post!!!

SamAddams said:
What about "producers" like George Avakian who produced Miles Davis' Columbia sessions? He NEVER played an instrument, composed a song, or arragned anything. As a matter of fact, MOST producers in the 40's, 50's, and 60's never played. They just put together the sessions. So with that being said, are we all "producing?" Just wanted to play devil's advocate for a little while!!!

Uncle Sam
its still happens to this day.... the way you prevent someone from doing that is learn how to fund your records and run sessions.....

A&Rs sometimes take credit for production its just depends.....

Id refer anybody to this book "all you need to know about the music business" written by donald passman (a jewish lawyer thats been in the music biz for decades and worked for elton john)

read the chapter about producers and you will know a producer is:

the person responseable for bringing the creative product into intangible form (a recording), maximizing on the creative process, deciding on the arrangments, getting the right vocal sound, taking care of all the administrations(booking studio time, getting musicians
, staying with in the budget, etc...

completing paperwork from the A&R's or labels!!!!!!!

alot of cats call themselves producers when in reality they just want a check and sending the artist in the shark pool w/o preparing them for the battle.....

ever since 2001, I stay on a record till it is finish and sounds perfect thus
I am a producer..... majority of the time, I do make the beats but along w/ that I fund & network all the projects from mixtapes to the albums to even stepping behind the turntables to make sure the show goes perfect

Last edited: