• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

What's the difference between a producer & beatmaker?

da blur

ProfessionalEntertainment
SamAddams said:
What about "producers" like George Avakian who produced Miles Davis' Columbia sessions? He NEVER played an instrument, composed a song, or arragned anything. As a matter of fact, MOST producers in the 40's, 50's, and 60's never played. They just put together the sessions. So with that being said, are we all "producing?" Just wanted to play devil's advocate for a little while!!!

Uncle Sam
Kinda like P. Diddy.. he knows how to tell a producer what to play and make a hit but I don't think he even makes beats or does editing or mixing at all.. he is probably just present in the studio and just tells them how he wants it.. yet his is executive producer and co producer of all his proteges.

And like Timbaland using Danja behind the scenes all these years and Jimmy Douglass as engineer
and Dre with Storch, but they finally came to light because their talents are undeniable.

Last edited:

AveMcree

FutureStarDJs/TrapCampEnt
da blur said:
Kinda like P. Diddy.. he knows how to tell a producer what to play and make a hit but I don't think he even makes beats or does editing or mixing at all.. he is probably just present in the studio and just tells them how he wants it.. yet his is executive producer and co producer of all his proteges.

And like Timbaland using Danja behind the scenes all thsee years and Dre with Storch, but they finally came to light because their talents are undeniable.
yup, diddy does legally touches the mixing board some so he can claim the right to do it.... when him and B.I.G. first came out w/ "Party and Bullshit" he wass making the beats along w/ D.Dot

yea Danja Hands saved Timbo's career though TImbo's a genius

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
da blur said:

And like Timbaland using Danja behind the scenes all thsee years and Dre with Storch, but they finally came to light because their talents are undeniable.
With some ghost producers, you can tell how much the main producer re-produced the songs, or how much they "depend" on that main producer, if at all.

With Scott...he had some major hits, but his songs with Dre always had a different sound to them that was usually more complete and hard hitting. Low key...Scott's style burnt out since 2005 when he was on top, which is probably why he went bankrupt. When people discuss the producers who produced under Dre, they usually conclude that they are never as good without him, and it makes it obvious that he does SOMETHING to enhance the beats. Looking at cats like Mel-Man, Scott, and Daz, none of them ever made classic beats or produced classic songs without being under Dre in some way.

SamAddams

WIth that being said, I have to go back to my original thought. A "producer" is the one who "produces" the product. We can ALL get upset in thinking about having to ghost produce and give someone else the credit, but at the end of the day, the producer knows what is best for the record. So do I think didy is a great producer? Yes, he is. He knows what it takes to make hits. We all know he can't program a drum machine, play an instrument, or anything of the like, but he can produce hits. He just has that "it." I know, sad, but true.

Precious P.

THE PRODUCERETTE
Some people mistake sound engineers for producers, some engineers wouldn't know where to begin to put a full track together, lol...
There are
beatmakers
producers
engineers
song writers

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
^^And don't forget musicians, the ones who play the individual instruments.

All of those parts are important to the process...there really shouldn't be any division or hierarchy between them, although it is.

AveMcree

R-Tistic said:
^^And don't forget musicians, the ones who play the individual instruments.

All of those parts are important to the process...there really shouldn't be any division or hierarchy between them, although it is.

Id put beatmakers in the "work for hire" section just like Id do musician cuz they both the same once you get to the "controlled composition" part of a contract

Dj Hummer

ThE gReAt OnE
i would beat makers make the beat and thats all. whereas producers compose the beat, the way the song may flow, lyrics, constructing the song basically until it is perfect working alongside musicians and singers.

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
How many of you all have been in a studio with someone who recorded and then had the credits listed?

These terms have no set definitions...I remember being in a studio where a major artist was recording to tracks that were sent in from major producers...and the engineer was the only one really coaching him on the tracks. The artist talked to some of the producers on the phone, and met some of them...but the engineer, and maybe the exec. producer, was the one who was coaching them and recording the songs, while the person credited as the producer in the album credits "ONLY" made the beat...

With this same artists, some of the producers were there as engineers, and you could tell because of the way that the track broke down, and because the producer was on the song itself.

AveMcree

Dj Hummer said:
i would beat makers make the beat and thats all. whereas producers compose the beat, the way the song may flow, lyrics, constructing the song basically until it is perfect working alongside musicians and singers.

now thats the best one Ive heard....... put a stamp on this statement!!!

D.V.US

Producers.. Groom Artists. Guide The Artist And Help With The Creative Process From Beginning To End.they Arrange, Write, And Put Songs Together, Most Producers Can Run The Boards/engineer And Understand All The Jobs In A Studio. They Should Know Everything About As Many Instruments And Music Theory... They Are Responsible For Song And Album Integrity And Making Sure The Artists Vision Comes Across As Well As Making The Song A Hit!!! Producers Can Make The Beats Or Buy Them From A Beatmaker,, But They Can Also Change The Track And Do What Ever They Have To ... Again To Make The Song A Hit...

DJ Master O

www.myflowbeats.com
Right now I am a beatmaker...I just make beats and sell them to whoever is interested..Once I have enough money to move forward I will become a producer and actually work with the artist to construct the song...

djSun

Universal Wizard
Yeah...

There are alot of good points made here to say the least. One of the best threadz in a minute.

jawar

Make Money Online
Beat Maker vs. Music Producer

A beat maker is a musician, they play an instrument, much like a saxophonists or guitarists plays the saxophone or guitar respectively. A music producer on the other hand is like the orchestrator in that they bring all the various instruments or components together to bring harmony to a particular group of instruments be it a guitar, piano, singer, songwriter, rap artists, etc.

The music producer directs the song and navigates its' course to ensure success.

BELOW ARE SOME RESOURCES FOR BEAT MAKERS & MUSIC PRODUCERS:

Lease Beats Make Money
Industry Pimping
Music Industry Connection
Music Business Blog
Music Industry Videos
Beat Making Producer