• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

Backup your music library

da blur

ProfessionalEntertainment
This is a PSA telling you to back up your music.. Hard drives are cheap as hell now a days, go buy a 1-2TB HDD strictly for backups. No I didn't lose any of my music recently but I have in the past and now I am paranoid and just like to keep backups. How much is your music collection worth... worth a couple hundred dollars for a backup? Thank you have a nice day. :)

Reactions: SAO

SAO

MOD
guess what im doing...... backing my shit up....... i have a external that is never -ever used ...full of my music from he past 6 or 7 years maybee even longer....
last time i backed up my music is maybee a year ago.. da blur thanks for the heads up...
if i lost my music.... i would be sooooo fuckin pissed.... you can always buy new dj stuff... but a music collection is Priceless///
especially all the shit i got....

People back up your music now.. before its too late!!!

da blur

Yeah... All harddrives fail eventually.. especially if you use them a lot..it's not IF its WHEN.. so if you wanna keep your rare songs or all your super hot mixes that youve bought over the years.. better be safe than sorry.

Last edited:

SAO

MOD
i need to get another hard drive today... i just realized 150 gigs is not cutting it!!!

djmistayung205

yessir

got three diff HD's with a backup of a backup of a backup...the last being a 1.5 TB that I only power up every now and then to make sure errthang still good

I did have an internal once that I accidentally wiped clean when I did a restore and picked the wrong drive to format...I forgot to unplug it first, needless to say I coulda drank sum GAS after that one

Anti-Hero

I'm worse than you man - I clone my drive every week onto an external - and also copy my Serato folders and music onto a different external on the regular!! And seriously - back it up - regularly!!

AH.

da blur

yeah. backup your backup then bury one and hide the rest of your harddrives at ya aunte house.

DjFlamez

now all this doom talk of hard drive failure is beginning to scare me. My mind has been tellin me of recent to back my stuff up bt i've been lazy abt it. I guess i shud do that now b4 its a case of the warning signs were every where lol. Thanks for the heads up guys!

musicpimp

I have 4 externals all filled with music and videos. I keep saying I'm going to make a new cd book but I never do.

rachard1583

You guys are shark for me, I just back up my music in DVD's Which now I like to get upload online, is there any website to upload online without or less charge? Since my storage will be in GB only. Thanks for any update.

WammyGiveaway

Wammy Radio!
I backup my music library on a constant basis in three different places: 1) on a regular hard drive for everyday access, 2) to an external drive as copies and 3) to my Apple iPod for on the road. Whenever one of the three devices fail, I can always fall back to the other two, knowing my music is safe and sound.

One additional step I take during backups is reconverting my entire library to one singular file format. In the past, my music library would be cluttered with files of different formats, encoding settings and file sizes. To consolidate my hard drive, I would convert those files of higher quality and different formats (like WMAs and MP4s) to MP3s with a quality of 128kbps and a sample rate of 44kh. It is apparent that when you convert from one file to another, you lose its audio fidelity, but if you're good with equalizing and normalizing with specialized audio software like Adobe Audition or Audacity, not only will you maintain most of the song's quality, you will have additionally trimmed the file to a size small enough so that you can add more songs to your backup.

da blur

^128kbps in mp3 format is not CD quality... if its 128 wma it is tho...

check out this deal I just found
2TB WD external HDD for 110$

http://www.pcconnectionexpress.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=10414928&cm_ven=EMAIL&cm_cat=email&cm_pla=email&cm_ite=email&j=11621340&e=ODDCHILD@CJOA.NET&l=51683_HTML&u=104988301&mid=32120&jb=0

it would suck if that crashed and you lost 2tb of data but it would be great for strictly backups only

also wouldnt be bad idea to store a hdd of backups offsite incase your house burns down or floods.... i know if my house burns down im running in that bitch even if it is ablaze to get my harddrives.. i dont even care i know some of the songs i got is super rare & priceless

carbinite is a good idea but it would take forever to redownload it plus they only back up stuff on Local harddrive so youd have to have giant internal primary hdd..or upload all then move new stuff on it and upload more..to trick it

google reciently did a study on harddrive since they have so many and claim all harddrives have life expectancy to last 3-6 months and if they make it past 6 months they decline 8% every year after that they last..and all harddrive have errors they are actually made with errors but they are so good at detecting errors it knows to skip around that part

and its better to leave them on for a long time than to shut them down daily

Last edited:

Kaijin

Producer.
But don't buy too cheap...I bought an external WD drive that lasted about a month. I was rearranging my studio, so I shut everything down and unplugged it all to move it. When I unplugged the external drive, it shorted the son of a bitch and crashed...