• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

Exporting Audio to the best quality

slayed

DJ Slayed Syzmor
Im working on a mixtape with an artist, he sends me the tracks in mp3 and they're recorded on a macbook with garage band.

Since they aren't recorded professional, the quality is a huge concern.

I need to edit the files a little and use Adobe Audition. When I export they come out a little quieter and probably are losing quality, how do I go about saving the quality?

PAP

DJ PAP
I don't use Adobe Audition, but make sure your master volume is set right.

I always like editing in .wav format then once final render as mp3

djmistayung205

Me too bro...I always record, save, edit...the whole nine in wav format because it saves the quality...mp3 is lossy but it's ok for a final render

One thing you can do tho is check your mp3 options. You may need to increase the quality in which you are saving your mp3's. When you are saving in mp3 check the drop down box and make sure you are not saving to 64k or 96k by mistake. Up it to at least 128k and if you have the space, do 320k.

DatDamnAmp

Im working on a mixtape with an artist, he sends me the tracks in mp3 and they're recorded on a macbook with garage band.

Since they aren't recorded professional, the quality is a huge concern.

I need to edit the files a little and use Adobe Audition. When I export they come out a little quieter and probably are losing quality, how do I go about saving the quality?
Honestly, it doesnt matter about the equipment he is using and really the quality, to be honest. He is probably sending you 320K VBR MP3s, which should give you more then enough signal for your market. Most people are gonna listen to it as a digital file or in a car, which isnt very hifi anyway or thru some earbuds. So they wont hear all the dynamic range anyway.
I have my people send 320K VBR files all the time. It is alot faster then sending a WAV, and also keeps them from trying to compress a .WAV file and sending it, not knowing that that can really corrupt the file.
Anyway, the mixtape is not a studio release and people today unfortunately dont care about true music, just if its loud. So compress the hell out of it, and add a limiter and there are a few plugins that will give you more headroom so you can make it super loud also.
Lemme know if you need any, and I will see what I can do for ya.

slayed

DJ Slayed Syzmor
I know little about compressiong and limiting. Should I bother using these effects presets?

devious Davis

just like dj mista yung said, make sure the quality is being saved above 128 kpbs. i personally save everything as 320 just cause i have a huge harddrive. i would recommend 192 kbps saving for the mp3 for quality and its less space then the 320. however throughout the project save in .wav and make sure it saves as the highest bit rate which can be 32 bit or in most programs 16 bit.

also talk to the guy who sends you his songs and make sure he doing similar stuff so you guys are on the same page

gswift

With the price of Harddrives nowadays there's no reason to save any less than 256kbps, but I don't use anything less than 320.

bluefan101

Registered Post Offender
If it's a mixtape, no. 192 or better is fine. You don't need to run compression or limiting on tracks that have already been mastered. All you'll need to do is check to make sure that the entire mixtape has been leveled, and even that you really don't have to do. Mixtapes don't have to be perfect unless you're handing them out as business cards too.