• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

How would you handle this crisis...

djunity

Bum Squad
Lets say that 3 hours before your biggest gig, you discover that your ONLY laptop has crashed. This scenario is mainly aimed at those of us that use a DVS like Serato or whatever. How would you handle this? Would you have time and money to run out and buy another one? Is buying a new one even an option in such an short amount of time?

I suppose I would have to immdiately start burning cds and Use my cdj along with vinyl. I still get a lil vinyl of new music but not as much as I used to of course.

djmistayung205

I personally would not depend solely upon laptop dj'ing. Though it would be the showcase/center of my gig, I would still have an ipod, mp3 cd player, or something. I wouldn't worry about bringing all my wax out cuz hopefully this will not happen, but just in case, I think the forementioned would suffice. Even if you went out and bought a new laptop, would you have time to do a fresh install of the os and the software you are using? Plus getting crates together, testing for crashes, etc.

Too much for last minute bruh.

djhypnotiq718

The Turntable Assasin
man thats crazy..if that was too happen...I would honestly ask to borrow somebody elses laptop just for the night...LOL...I would even cut that person a lil "change" on the side just for there services....LOL!! nowadays mostly everybody has laptops!! thats why I keep All my serato stuff on myexternal... Even the program it self..I load from my external (eventhough I dont know if thats a smart thing to do) That way I can still have my crates and everything if I was to use another laptop or something ya dig? But I would still carry like a 1 or 2 books of cd's just in case something like that drastic happens, or something as to happen during the night of a gig!!! I guess the only thing I can do is PRAY that this won't ever happen to me, but throughout my DJ career, I been went through some crazy things!!! LOL!!

da blur

ProfessionalEntertainment
easy you just jump off a 20 story building
nah

if youre only digital DJ ....... idk um go get your desktop PC worst case scenario.. or borrow laptop or .. just kill yourself

Last edited:

DatDamnAmp

djunity said:
Lets say that 3 hours before your biggest gig, you discover that your ONLY laptop has crashed. This scenario is mainly aimed at those of us that use a DVS like Serato or whatever. How would you handle this? Would you have time and money to run out and buy another one? Is buying a new one even an option in such an short amount of time?

I suppose I would have to immdiately start burning cds and Use my cdj along with vinyl. I still get a lil vinyl of new music but not as much as I used to of course.
I dont worry about crashes. I have a backup 60GB hard drive I took out my lappy when I upgraded to a 250GB HDD. It has all my DVS software on it and Win XP. I keep all my music on an 320 GB External, with all the current stuff on the laptop just in case the external crashes or I forget to bring a USB cable for it. But the 60GB stays in my gig bag, and before I leave home, I will test it just to make sure its good.
It takes all of 2 minutes to swap HDDs, 4 min if you count booting back up and being ready to go.

kaos456

i'm lucky i have a g4 powerbook i bought about 4 years ago when i first bought my ssl & i have a macbook that i bought for low low. but if i only had one, i would.... borrow one of my crews laptop & if they had a gig & i had 3 hours. i'd go to the apple store & charge another one. (i kinda have my eye on the new black macbook) if it was a holiday i would download ssl to my windows laptop & cross my fingers that it wouldnt crash.

thats a pretty random question. did that happen to you or someone u know?

texasskoolboi

depends on how much time you have.. if theres time then go for the desktop or borrowed laptop. but just in case.. i like to keep a few recorded mix cds so that i can just pop em in if something goes wrong..

djunity

Bum Squad
kaos456 said:
thats a pretty random question. did that happen to you or someone u know?
Naw Nothing that major has happened to me yet(knock on wood). Im still relatively new to this whole laptop/ssl thing. I just get Serato back in march of 08 and Im still kind of paranoid about it. I still carry around 9 crates of vinyl...lol. I was just curious as to how one might handle a major situation like the one I described.

I suppose djs through out time have had to worry about equipment failure of some sort or another. Things like turntables malfunctioning, needles breaking, headphones messing up or mixers not working properly. So i guess a laptop is just one more thing to worry about. Because when your in that booth and something goes wrong and your in the hotseat, you know that the music has to continue one way or another.

kaos456

yea i feel u. i had ssl for 4 years now. i think i carried a extra crate with me for the first few months. now i keep a couple of itunes playlist on my laptop & a ipod in my dj bag just in case. but (knock on wood) till this day my biggest problem has been a bad rca on a turntable (wich i just moved around till it worked, until i finished the gig) & a dirty needle now & then.

djhypnotiq718

The Turntable Assasin
I mean I just pray that it won't ever happen to me, but whenever you deal with new technology, and heat, and smoke....sometimes bad things could, and MIGHT HAPPEN!!

DJ RED

DJ Godfather
most cdjs today (if not all) play mp3 cds. so i'd think one book of 100-200 cds would hold one over for a night DJing. I have to start doing this myself! all of us should already have a BACKUP PLAN for any situation. I have a lot of backup external HDs but they useless if your laptop go out. lol. so still lugging around c.d.s is a good idea.....if worst come to worst. at least keep them in you car or at the club hidden/locked away in the booth or office.

DJ RED

DJ Godfather
Dj B-swizz said:
Just Beat Box your way through it! Practice your Doug Fresh and Biz Markie routines...

LOL!!! hey anything to keep the crowd goin'. and practice your fatman scoop chants while you at it.