• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

My first event

slayed

DJ Slayed Syzmor
So I got my first real event booked. Ive done parties and stuff before, but never performed with other DJs.

Im opening up for DJ Skribble. Since I mostly have DJed parties, Im more of a mix DJ than turntablist. I know Skribble is known for his scratching and what not.

I dont want to look bad at this event, anyone have any tips on music selection or any other ideas that I could use to help me not look horrible next to skribble?

DJ enCore

man, just do you...play all the stuff that'll get the party hyped, all the club bangers, throw in some classics, whatever. Let Skribble do what he does, he plays all that dance music. Don't be intimidated by him.

slayed

DJ Slayed Syzmor
Im very confident in my beat matching and not too worried about track selection, but if all I am doing is transitioning between tracks, is that enough?

MiamiHustler

DJ TARIQUE
Thats a big honor to open for Skribble have not seen him or heard him spin in a little while, I would just say read the crowd and remember your the opener not the headliner if u do good who knows maybe Skribble will get u to open for him @ all his events

slayed

DJ Slayed Syzmor
Its why Im kind of nervous, this is my first real gig and Im opening for someone that is a pretty big name.

djunity

Bum Squad
Yeah just do what you do. Dont concern yourself with mr. Dj Skribble, I guarantee you that when you see him do his thing up close and personal you will stand back and say to yourself that "hey I can do that too". It wont be as impressive to you being another dj as it will be to someone who has no knowledge of djaying. And Im sure you already know, for the most part, in the club, that its mostly about track selection than anything else.

slayed

DJ Slayed Syzmor
Thanks for the advice. Ive been watching some youtube videos of skribble and now know more of his style and what not.

Ive got a bigger problem now though, my mixers one channel is acting up!

Congrats......skribbles is not pretty well known. I actually think hes pretty major, Id say one of the pioneers. Thats def alot of exposure for you, and who knows who'll be there, and where it'll take ya. Its a once in a lifetime opportunity, so if your confident then go for it. Try not to sweat it, relax and like said above remember ure just opening up. as far as ure mixer, check for local shops that might rent out equipment.

DJ RED

DJ Godfather
slayed said:
Its why Im kind of nervous, this is my first real gig and Im opening for someone that is a pretty big name.

just play my Barney mix and everything will be OKAY!!! :D

slayed

DJ Slayed Syzmor
DJ RED said:
just play my Barney mix and everything will be OKAY!!! :D
I already had that ready to go for my set. I was going to mix it with the freecreditreport.com song.

Has anyone seen Skribble perform lately? The promoter asked me to spin hip hop, all the other DJs opening are mainly EDM. I dont want to be the only one spinning hip hop, I may try to go for a hip hop electro feel.

JonnyBlaze

from 804 to 252
I saw him not to long ago... nobody came out, but I used to watch his youtube vids and he definitely spins a lot of party breaks and some cc stuff... my advice would be to go with old school hip hop or more well known tracks that arnt club essentials anymore... that way you get your hip hop credit from the edm crowd and you wont be playing what skribble might play.... i dunno im sure you will do fine... i feel u with the electro feel hipster status lol

slayed

DJ Slayed Syzmor
Yea Im not sure if I should be going for the old school hip hop feel to get everyone bobbin their heads, or some real dance music to get everyone dancing.

Anyone from around Pennsylvania that wants to go, its at crocodile rock (allentown) on thanksgiving eve.

MTV's own
DJ SKRIBBLE
***LIVE!***
NOV. 26TH. THANKSGIVING EVE! TICKETS $12/15 ALL AGES! DOORS OPEN AT 7PM.
W/ DJS
BRAD BAESIC
DEVIOUS TAZ
REVOLUTION
PHAT LOU
CRIS W
JEREMY O
SLADE
K-WAK
ALI MAHMUD
CHAD E
DJ IKO
SPARKLEZ
DOG TRANE
SPINNING CLUB/DANCE/HOUSE/TRANCE AND HIPHOP IN THE MAINROOM, UNDERGROUND AND PUB.

Hosted By: CROCODILE ROCK
When: Wednesday Nov 26, 2008
at 7:00 PM
Where CROCODILE ROCK CAFE
520 W.

Hamilton St
Allentown, PA 18101
United States
Description:
CROCODILE ROCK

http://events.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=events.detail&eventID=471810.20832

R-Tistic

L.A. needs me!
Don't trip on scratching...most of the crowd doesn't care about it unless you have a major name and they are really there JUST for you.

slayed

DJ Slayed Syzmor
Some people mentioned party breaks, I never really thought of playing party breaks live. Do DJs do this? I only have like 3 partybreaks that I made myself, is it frowned upon to play other DJs partybreaks? Also, I didnt plan on spinning any CrooklynClan because I figured every DJ would know these tracks and would make me look more skill-less. (if thats a word)

DJ Benny Stixx

If not that many people are spinning hip hop then that will stand you out in the crowd. 99% of the time in the club they're looking for just track selection.. shit... half the time they're too damn drunk to remember what you're playing anyway... just read the crowd and keep the asses movin''..

PS - Get a new mixer or rent one for sure! Don't have that be a reason to F up your night!