• You really should REGISTER real quick!!!!

Sooo I Witness My First "Fake" DJ performance

PiLoT

A-List Productions
Maybe he didn't cost that much to hire? Club managers look at costs, to them if the fake dude is cheaper to use then the fake dude it is.

arthy704

I had soo many "fake djs" come dj with me and its sooo saddd. One time this dj put in a pre-mixed mega mix cd and act like he was actually mixing it live LMAO! and he was train wreakin soo bad. The so call dj said he only dj for a week! and I was thinking to my head."what was the promoter smoking on?!"

RomeoX911

LoL... I would rather train wreck all night then play a prerecorded hour long mix... thankfully, I practice sets long enough where I can make perfect sounding sets in case I start train wrecking and need a few mins to recuperate...

Yes... i am still getting my mixing skills put together... so sometimes things don't come out perfectly... but I still wouldn't resort to playing a hour prerecorded mix unless I got mad and decided to just walk out... and trust me, you wouldn't want to dance to the cd I would put on...

"This is the song that never ends... it just goes on and on my friends" LOL

But, if anything... and this is a bit extreme, but I guess you could get away with it... break the hour long mix into 12 individual tracks, and throughout the night you can use those as 'safety' tracks... first play track 8... then fade into one of your own songs... then play track 3... that sorta thing...

DJ Yoel

erging for a good scene
ANY VIRTUAL DJ SYNC BUTTON HATERS HERE? bECAUSE I USE SERATO AND TURNATABLES. AND IT HAS TAKEN ME 7 YEARS TO GET WHERE I AM TODAY. NOW THERE ARE SOME JOKESTERS USING MACS WITH BOOTLEG VIRTUAL DJ JUST PRESSING SYNC AND LOOP. THE FUNNY THING IS THAT SOMETIMES THEY ARE NOT ON POINT, I FIGURE THAT THEY THINK ITS BEATMATCH THEY CAN MIX AND DROP IT IN... ALL YOU HEAR ARE SHOES IN A DRIER. ANYBODY WANNA ADD TO THIS. I THINK ITS HILARIOUS. BEFORE ANY JOKESTA WITH TWO DECKS AND A MIXER WOULD CALL HIMSELF A DJ. BUT THIS IS SOMETHING ELSE... THE WAY I SEE IT MIGHT AS WELL COPY PASTE ON ABLETON OR USE THE SESSION BUTTONS AND MIX LEVELS IN AND OUT.

dj rebel

Washingtons #1 Latin DJ
dnt get how the dude is djyng in ur club n d 1st place..m etter sets than u..lol!!
lol!
ha noooooooo. i only spin on saturdays. and the club is trying to run its bar on fridays but they basically want me to spin for free and of course im not going to agree to that ;)(the owner is really really really cheap n stingy that's why i refuse to do him any favors) so thats why they brought in the other dude.

UPDATE:
the fake dj is officially gone. lol...i guess he couldn't stick it out and build his crowed.

DjTito

Tu Socio
well i never thought that i would ever get to meet a "fake" dj but damn i did...

So heres the lil story:

Some dj came from another town to my resident spot...i didn't pay any attention to his song selection or mixing but i did notice when he dropped a Dj Reaction Demo mix which i download off this site a while ago

My first thought was that he was going to take a break and thats why he put on that mix...but then one of the other djs told me to go with him to the dj booth...i went..and when i got in there..sure enough,,,the dj was pretending as though he was the one mixing the tracks!!! i was like OMG is he really doing this? lol...

Then like an hour later i go back to the booth to check him out again...he couldn't mix one single track without looking at his laptop. i was like "man this dude needs to get slapped"

So yeah theres my story.

Have any of you guys seen a fake dj performance???
lol lol lol exactly what im talking about....I aint gonna front though, on nights where I know ima be djing by myself the whole night, I have played some of my own mixes as well as others of which genres I dont play to take a BREAK!!! BUT, there are far too many who take it a step further as you described and will try to put their best game face on to fool the people.:D

DjTito

Tu Socio
ha noooooooo. i only spin on saturdays. and the club is trying to run its bar on fridays but they basically want me to spin for free and of course im not going to agree to that ;)(the owner is really really really cheap n stingy that's why i refuse to do him any favors) so thats why they brought in the other dude.

UPDATE:
the fake dj is officially gone. lol...i guess he couldn't stick it out and build his crowed.
Rebel book me for a night!!! :D

DJSANiTY

The sync button isn't that bad compared to what rebel described. I mean the sync button is useless unless you know how to beat match, drop on the one, and learn song selection & what tracks can go together. I've used it before when I don't have my BPM's saved. (Virtual DJ can be glitchy) I mean I already know if the tracks go together or not, because I've studied them so much and mixed them at home on my own time. I use stanton str8-60s which dont have such great torque so instead of dropping on the 1 I have to "push" on the one just a notch lmao...and its not so easy =p

but I know what you mean...I've seen sync button Djs who just play a track, then randomly start playing the other track and just fading to the other side with the crossfader hahha. its quite a sound -__-

DJ G-Rock

I have seen a few of these situations, one time I seen a dude in the booth moving as if he was scratching and i'm listening to it like this kid is rockin so crept up on the booth like most of us do and he was just in there moving to make it look like he was scratching and wasn't even touchin the turntable. WTF.

Then another situation was me and my man was playing a spot, we were going on at 10 so we got there at like 8 to scope the spot out and get setup cause it was the first time, and the sound guy came out and said look my assistant will warm the crowd up for you on the house equipment and then you come on at 10, so me and my man went got some drinks and went to the booth and this dude was straight playing 15 minute long Megamixes, then he'll drop a horn effect and start the next megamix. Then to make it bad he was dancing around like he was nice. That's the first time I got an ovation as a DJ cause he was so horrible that when I played the first song the crowd was just like THANK YOU. How do you play techno megamixes at a HOOD spot?????

razcal

A club owner once comes to me and says "this dude here is gonna take over for an hour or so, to show me what he got. Let him get on around midnight or so, ok?". Sure, you're the boss.

Midnight approaches, he comes to the booth to set up, I'm like... you brought your own needles, or wanna use mine? And he says "I'm just gonna use the laptop". I thought, okay, he's got some mixing software... why not, at least I get a break.

When he came on, I saw what this was gonna be... He used Winamp (honest to God, Winamp) for mixing songs. And not even two separate Winamps for some sort of transition, but one Winamp with some "fade out/in" plugin installed. As if that wasn't bad enough, the guy had awful MP3s. I'm talking low quality, and most of them taken from mixtapes with annoying shouts all over them. I was like WTF. I just spent 3h warming up just so you come up here and ruin the mood with your tracks stolen from some Dj Clue mixtape? Luckily, the club wasn't that full. And the boss wanted him to play, so I just got me a beer and waited him out.

Half an hour later, the owner asks me to "politely take over again". When I talked to the other DJ later on, he told me he is very interested in Djing, but was not prepared, and that it was basically a dare by his friends. Aha. At least they had the decency to cheer for him.

dj flazz

Damn man, i never realized how many wanna be's there are out there. I mean no one starts out a pro.. like me, I've only been djing for about a year so I'm still technically a beginner but I'm not about to pretend to be something I'm not. It takes hard work t get to the top. I guess real djs, like us, who really mix on the tables are a rare breed.

arthy704

I've just had an exp last week where there were two dj's that came to my town to spin for a night and I was the guest dj opening for the night. I was told that they were very experience dj's and such and had a huge following in their home town. I was ready to see what these guys got and maybe learn a thing or two.They brought out their rane searto with technics 1200 with a pioneer mixer, so I was thinking to my self "hey these guys look like they're going to tear it up" I opened up the night and did my thing and blended all my songs perfectly to the next and this was hip-hop night as well.One of the dj's were amaze at how I was able to blend my song's nonstop and even did a quick megamix which was normal for me to do on my sets.To me all of this is normal for me to execute on my sets and was wondering why these soo call exp djs were amazed at my skills that any trained dj can do.So around 11 pm, it was their turn to spin. After a few songs I was dissapointed badly...they were soo terrible in blending to the next song and would scratch awfully and cut to the next song.There were no beat macting skills whatsoever! I was soo confuse and wondered "how did these guys get a gig here and get paid 600!? and they cannot even beat match and top of that had terrible song selection!.The dance floor was empty and the crowd was booing! If an average crowd that know nothing of djin actually knows that you suck at beat matching with terrible transition, they you must really suck.I looked at the dj like WTF? you're getting paid 600 for this bullshit, and you have all this equipment?! smh.This shows how you can have all that nice equipment but can still suck. I don't even have 1200's and rane and I still manage to tear it up with equipment I don't use my self. I've trained and practiced djin enough to where I can adapt to any equipment and still manage to come out with a professional set.I was humble and told the dj's that they did a good job and such, but I knew by looking at their faces,that they were out done by a dj with mid level equipment that had skills to execute a nice set which opened their eyes up to a real dj at work.

Desertsurfer22

i actually had someone tell me the did that same exact thing. We're good friends and all but still.

"hey man, i got booked an extra hour that night so i just popped in one of your mixes and it saved my butt." like...wtf?? He's a wedding DJ so its not like he was doin it at the clubs but still, that's a little low.

I've actually heard multiple times someone using my mix.

Has anyone ever walked into a club / party/ or show and heard your OWN mix playing?

DJ Hustle

I swear to tell da truth!
Seems like we got some haterz on here....You shouldnt cry about the weak links doing their thing...."ThE CREAM WILL RISE TO THE TOP"